my.gurl - Fixing Quotes

Hi all,

This will be a guide of sorts that walks you through re-enabling the quote function in forum posts via two userscripts I made

The requirments:
1. Tampermonkey
2. The userscripts

Explanation: Tampermonkey is a browser addon that manages userscripts
Its basically the toolbox for the two scripts (or tools) this post addresses

The first script (my.gurl.blockck.user.js) blocks my.gurl's post box (cdn.themis-media.com/js/ckeditor/ckeditor.js)
The second script (my.gurl.quotes.user.js) then injects escapistmagazine's forum script thus enabling the quote button on my.gurl boards to function once more

Essentially we are just getting rid of my.gurl's postbox and replacing it with escapistmagazine's as it works with the forum once ckeditor.js is disposed of with the added benefit that if fixes quotes.

Onto the guide!

First you'll need Tampermonkey which supports several browsers
Download/installation should be rather simple

With that done we'll need the scripts
Here they are: my.gurl.blockck.user.js and my.gurl.quotes.user.js
(If you clicked the links prior to installing Tampermonkey they'll just look like code and won't install
After installing Tampermonkey you should be prompted to install/decline the scripts)

If you need any assistance with the above just ask and I'll try my best to help out

You can see this is a rather roundabout fix but I hope it helps those who hold this forum in high regard

Bonus: see my below posts for another script that enables previews!

Edit - updated guide to not be reliant on adblocker

End result should now enable the quote button to actually work and function as was intended
By far an improvement from manually creating the quote yourself
Oh, I just noticed this post box has spell check

Gauche:

You can see this is a rather roundabout fix but I hope it helps those who hold this forum in high regard

Feels good

yeah, I wouldn't advise downloading or installing anything.

brandneweyes00:

Yeah, I figured there would be users adverse to what I'm promoting here
Especially considering the target audience of the site and all
Though it might not mean much I assure you, and anyone for that matter, that this is completely safe
Maybe someone could vouch for me if they get it running

I'm also working to restore the preview function of posts found on the escapist but absent on my.gurl
It looks like this when it works
The problem I'm facing is that the "Preview" button does not pop up next to the "Post" button but instead at the very bottom left of the page
Can hardly spot it in the image
Should have it out by the end of the day, code permitting

Gauche:

brandneweyes00:

Yeah, I figured there would be users adverse to what I'm promoting here
Especially considering the target audience of the site and all
Though it might not mean much I assure you, and anyone for that matter, that this is completely safe
Maybe someone could vouch for me if they get it running

I'm also working to restore the preview function of posts found on the escapist but absent on my.gurl
It looks like this when it works
The problem I'm facing is that the "Preview" button does not pop up next to the "Post" button but instead at the very bottom left of the page
Can hardly spot it in the image
Should have it out by the end of the day, code permitting

Welp I couldn't fix the "Preview" button to the left of the "Post" button so I got lazy and placed it in the top left instead whenever your in the following urls

http://my.gurl.com/forums/read/*
http://my.gurl.com/forums/edit/*
http://my.gurl.com/forums/post/*

The results look like this

The preview userscript can be had over here
Keep in mind you'll have to follow through with the shenanigans mentioned in the first post for this to work

up

Reply to Thread