Spanking: Survey for anyone who was spanked growing up

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hey! OK so this is a big (and sometimes controversial) debate that came up in a class of mine and its a topic thats come up a few times in conversations I've had with friends on how they were brought up. It's interesting to see how so many people view spankings as necessary discipline and just part of growing up, whereas others see it as a bad thing! Would be interesting to hear from the experiences of everyone here. This survey's probably not relevant if you weren't spanked growing up but if you were, copy and paste the questions and please share your views:

1) Do you believe spankings are an effective form of discipline?
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)?
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it?
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents?
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking?
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong??
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc?
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand?
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes?
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do?
11) Did you cry every time?
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson?
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you?
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline?
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents?
16) Were you afraid of your parents?
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents?
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions?

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? To a degree. I've noticed that in my family, the kids that were spanked behave better than those just sent to time out or told to stop repeatedly, both the young ones and us older.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? I can literally count the times I was spanked in my entire life: four times.
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? I wouldn't say the spanking alone is the reason. It was moreso the talk afterwards of why it happened and why I shouldn't do it again. (I was hardheaded when told just to stop and would try and sneak again. The spanking nipped it in the bud because who wants a spanking?)
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? My mother did the spanking. My dad never touched us; he did the talks/fussing. My mom was a combination. The only other person who would give us quick taps was my grandma.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Lying, fighting, and breaking something we were told not to mess with. Spankings weren't given because of trivial things like spilling juice or whatever.
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Indeed it was. Never was a second time, lmao.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? It was always a "Wait a minute" and taken into another room and spanked while standing. At least for me. I can't speak for anyone else in my family.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Belt, purse strap, or the switch (a skinny brancy off of a bush). The hand did nothing, it actually was laughable and I'd have to fake crying. Sort of itched.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Always over clothes unless I was hit on the legs/arms in crossfire of trying to get away.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? Oooooh...I think I was like...seven? My cousin and I were running through Wal-mart and playing in the clothes and knocking stuff over in the process and being loud.
11) Did you cry every time? Yeah.
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? It would never happen again.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Yelling. I cry when yelled at and hate the feeling, therfore, whatever I was yelled at for never happened again.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? My idea of a spanking are quick taps, not full on Sharkeisha licks. Also, spankings should not leave marks, scratches or bruises. That's one thing I can say, a mark was never left on me and the pain never lasted past two minutes. And they never just threw me off to the side like a demon child. I'm in favor of spankings, but not over trivial things. But it was just how I was raised. It's ingrained in me, not gonna lie. But I'm not one to stand on side of the road with a sign in favor of it. I even see myself probably doing away with being in agreement with it one day.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Nope. I love my folks. We even joke about it now.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? Not them, just what I know they could do. I just knew not to cross them with certain things. My parents were not these big rulers with iron fists.
17) Do you think it was effective in making you change your behavior/learn discipline over the long run? Yeah. Even as I got older (getting spanked stopped after 10 in our house) I learned that pain (not necessarily physical) is the result of doing wrong. I mean, this is my own, twisted take on it.
18) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? I don't think I'm going to spank my kids. I don't have the heart to be honest. I don't even spank my nieces. I'm more of a talker/fussing person. And privledge taker. I am the priveledge pocketer.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes I do actually. Like anything, I think it can definitely be taken too far and become abusive but for the vast majority of people it isn't and is effective.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Not a lot
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Yes
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Usually my mom
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Lying, swearing, back-chatting...
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Usually yes
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc?  Usually I'd have to lie over her lap or sometimes bending over my bed
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Usually just with their hand but if it was for something really bad, then with a belt!
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Usually bare butt
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? Probably when I was 13...I called my mom a bitch by accident and then she was spanking me with a belt really hard and it hurt asf! Literally, it wasnt fun :(
11) Did you cry every time? Yes
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? They'd knew when I was genuinely sorry!
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? When I was little it was mainly time-outs, taking away toys etc...when I was older it was mainly grounding
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? Honestly I find it so annoying when people say spanking is abuse. ITS NOT! I have friends who really were abused growing up and what happened to them was horrible. They would actually get beaten all over and were mentally abused. Getting a few slaps on your butt is nothing! It's almost an insult to people who were really abused to say their experiences are the same as someone who just got a few smacks on the butt as a kid
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Absolutely no, I respect my mom and the way she raised me.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? No, I was afraid of the punishments but not of my parents, per se.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? I'd probably be the same. I'd never spank for everything but if its abolustely the last resort and you've explained to the kid why you're doing it, then it's fine. 
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? Spanking isn't abuse. Getting a few slaps on your butt isn't the same as getting beaten/abuse. My mom always used to explain to me what I'd done and why I was being punished before she did it. I knew if i made her that angry then I probably deserved it! 

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes, sometimes its the only thing that works.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Often...i was a little brat and deserved it!
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? I believe it worked and taught me discipline. Nowadays you see so many kids running riot and hollering at their parents...I'd never have done that when I was younger
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Mainly my mom and also my grandparents. I think I only got spanked by my dad once.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Being openly rude, lying, sneaking out the house etc etcc
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? I'd say yes...if i got a spankin for something, I sure as hell wanted to avoid it in future
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? Over my mom's lap
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Just the hand or sometimes a small wooden spoon
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Bare booty
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? When I was 12, can't remember why
11) Did you cry every time? Usually yes, just to make her stop
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? When they could see my butt was already as red as a tomato! LOL
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Grounding
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? It is necessary sometimes, especially with younger kids who you can't reason with. There need to be consequences toy our actions and spanking serves as the ultimate deterrent. 
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? No, not really
16) Were you afraid of your parents? Yes to an extent, but it was a healthy fear of disobeying my parents. 
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Probably wouldn't do anything differently. I'd spank if everything else fails. 
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? I also don't buy the whole 'spanking is abuse' thing either. I mean, it's just your butt lol! The same thing that you sit on and fall on all the time....it can take a few swats! A few pops on the booty to serve as the ultimate worst-case punishment is harmless and definitely not abusive when done in moderation.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline?
Yes, but not to a point where it's taken too far (being abusive). 

Whenever I got in deep trouble. Probably often. ( I don't exactly remember only know that I got it a few times.)

Yes. 

4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents?
Usually my dad the most, sometimes both & no. 

Breaking things, Talking back, Doing things that I wasn't suppose to do. Etc.

6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? 
For the most part, yes. 

7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? 
Usually standing up and if we move it hits us where ever. So I was told to stay or stand still. 

8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? 
Belts, Wire hangers, Hand, Switch.

Usually over clothes unless I move while getting spanked.

It's been so long. I don't remember my last whoopin although I was starting to be good earlier than my other siblings. 

Not everytime. Sometimes I would laugh at my other siblings and fake cry.

When I don't do it again. 

Being grounded and being put in the corner until they say I can leave it.

14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? 
It's necessary at times to a point.

15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? 
No, I have a great relationship with my parents.

Not until I got in trouble when I was younger. 

17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents?
I think I would if nothing else seems to work for them but I wouldn't go to far with it. 

18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions?
Nope.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Quite often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? In balance, yes. It definitely wasn't abuse and was only reserved for the worst things I did
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Both my mom and dad equally
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Anything from lying, backchatting or being openly rude
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Well I definitely didn't repeat what I did which earned me the spanking!
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? Usually would lean over their lap or a chair
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Sometimes it was with a wooden spoon
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Bare butt
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? 14, sneaking out of home without permission
11) Did you cry every time?  When I was younger yes, when I was older not all the time
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? Because I wouldn't repeat what I did wrong in the first place!
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Grounding, taking away privileges, extra chores
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? I feel it is necessary at times but should always be the last resort. If you spank too often, it loses its power and can be abusive
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Definitely not
16) Were you afraid of your parents? No, I know my parents were loving and did what they did for my own benefit
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? I'd do the same as my parents most probably
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? Nope

I'm gonna try and answer this as honestly as I can.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline?
If all else fails, yes.

Very, very often. And I wouldn't call it spanking; my definition of being spanked is a good rap on the rum, which I can't recall ever occurring.

To be honest I don't know. Perhaps it did on some ways; on the outside I'm seen as a paragon of virtue.

4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? When I lived with my aunt she would. But otherwise it was always my mom.

Oh, 19/20 times it was always about schoolwork. I'm very book smart, but I always hated school. I never did any homework because it would always bore me, and I'd never needed to put much effort into passing classes. There were the occasional kid stuff, but mostly it was school. No I never got any additional help on it either.

6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong?
Nope. Senior year was when I decided "hey, I guess I'll put some effort into getting A's and B's just to prove I can." otherwise it never made want to do homework.

7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc?
Interesting notion; ideally right where I stood, granted a chasing scene didn't occur. One hand had me, other hand had the instrument that was going to be used on me. Also ideally the aim was towards the thighs/buttocks, but there were the missed licks on arms and torso due to squirming.

Almost always something was used. The most popular was a hard belt. Some others was a hanger, back of a brush, a metal broom that was broken in half was used once... As I got into my teens fists were used.

Whatever I was wearing at the time. Yes I've had been whooped when I was naked and wet.

I wanna say mid-late teens? I got pissed off and flipped my bed over and cried some more about it.

Yes. Though as I grew older I wouldn't cry because of the physical pain anymore.

I dunno. She was done when she was done, and felt she got her point across.

A very long timeout; two hours I wanna say. And it wouldn't matter if it was past my bedtime or not. Lectures which would result in me being called a jerk, evil, or the like. This was a rare occurrence but being kicked out of the house until further notice; oddly enough the last times I recall those happening were during cold nights. And of course the typical grounding/loss of privileges.

Spanking can be very effective as a last resort; I've spanked my little sister a few times when she got out of line and wouldn't listen. And in high school I've seen kids be absolutely rude to their parents and I think deserve it. But there is such a thing as taking it too far. The discipline I experienced could be considered abuse; I've had bruises even if that part of the skin wasn't bare. There were some times where my skin was broken. The one incident with the broomstick took a good piece of my hand.

It definitely instilled fear in me. I do have trust issues, but the beatings only make up a fraction of it.

Yep. You could say I still am.

As a last resort, yes. I would never beat my kids the way my mom beat me. If I even decide to have kids.

18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? No, I felt I said everything I needed to.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? In a way. I think like popping young children on their hands is something effective but I think talking to kids and punishing them in other ways are more effective.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Very often. I wasn't just spanked; I was abused actually. 
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Not really. I'm just don't react well to being hit or touched in a rough way. 
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? I grew up in my grandfather's house. He spanked me maybe twice; his wife did most of the spanking (more like beating). 
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? To be honest, I couldn't even tell you since I would get hit for no reason most of the time. I don't even remember when I did get a spanking for something I actually did.
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? No, it just made me angry and rebellious eventually.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? Always over the knee or bed when it was an actual spanking.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Usually their hand but I've been whooped with a belt before.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Bare skin.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? Well idk. I was spanked with a belt when I was 11 (and had welt marks all over my arms and legs from running) for my mouth probably. But two years ago my mom pushed me and hit me and we fought (for my mouth also). So, whichever one.
11) Did you cry every time? Yes.
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? Idk
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Taking my phone mostly.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? I was definitely abused and once I moved with my mother and she'd hit me I just felt bullied. 
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? I have anger with them for different reasons.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? I don't think so. I kind of was just an angry little kid so if they came for me I came back at them. I can say my grandfther did scare me because he rarely spanked me so I knew I had really screwed up. 
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? A firm spank on thier CLOTHED bum at the most. But besides that; no I would not. Since I was hit beyond a spank on the butt, I vividly remember the fear and pain a small child goes through in those moments when your hit with fists or objects. I would never. I don't see how someone can take a belt or a cord or whatever and hit their child across their body and leave marks and just hear them scream and cry. It's not okay with me and sadly in my community, that's no big  deal. 
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? I think I said everything I needed to. 

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? In moderation, yes it's not a bad thing.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Rarely
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Yes
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Pretty much always my mom
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Being openly rude, fighting with my sister, lying
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Yeah, though I hated it, it worked lol
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? Over their knee
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Just their hand
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Always on my bare butt
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? 14...sneaked out of the house without my parents permission
11) Did you cry every time? Yes!
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? When my butt became the same color as a tomato lol
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Usually grounding, taking away my phone etc
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? Yes it is necessary. Noone likes being spanked but I think it's needed as a punishment of last resort. So many kids are too spoilt and run around thinking they can do whatever they want, without serious discipline from their parents.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? No, I've always respected my parents
16) Were you afraid of your parents? No
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Yes I'd probably spank. I wouldn't do it all the time, but would as a worst case scenario.
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? I really hate when people say spanking is the same thing as child abuse. It's just a few slaps on your butt, not a beating all over your body. Too many people exaggerate too much and say it's abuse when they have no idea what they're talking about or what real abuse actually is.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? To an extent
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Nope
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Nope 
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Basically everytime they got mad at us, they would just spank us without a warning or explanation :p sometimes my dad would give us a warning, but only occasionally. My mom didn't do it ever, as I recall
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Talking to's, as we used to call them. It's when our parents explained what we were doing wrong and why, and what we should do differently. It helped a lot
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? On the spot
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? My mom used wooden spoons quite often and sometimes metal spoons
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? usually over, but sometimes on the bare skin
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? probably around 11 or so? I cannot even remember
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? I just hid it better. lol
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? talking to's, which were much more effective
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? I think that as a last resort it's OK, as long as it is like one-three times at most and used with your hand
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? A little, tbh
16) Were you afraid of your parents? YES
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Only as an absolute last resort if they wouldn't listen and the other forms of discipline didn't work. I would set ground rules and give them warnings instead of just doing it out of the blue when I was in a bad mood and my kid did something that made me irritated. They would know what would "earn" them a spanking and what wouldn't. I would also try different kinds of punishments
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? I understand spanking sometimes, but I honestly feel like you probably aren't as creative as a parent if the only way you can get your child to listen is through spanking them.... just sayin'

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? nope
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? very often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? no if anything im more rebelious
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents?my grandpa once
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? they always gave a warning
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? no
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc?  bend over there knee sometimes
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? hand
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? skin
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? 11 i dont remember
11) Did you cry every time? yes
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? they just thought they knew
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? grownding
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? i feel like its abuse
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? yes
16) Were you afraid of your parents? YES
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents?no i would never spank my kid
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions?no 

mirandaminx:Hey! OK so this is a big (and sometimes controversial) debate that came up in a class of mine and its a topic thats come up a few times in conversations I've had with friends on how they were brought up. It's interesting to see how so many people view it as necessary discipline and just part of growing up, whereas others see it as a bad thing. Would be interesting to hear from the experiences of everyone here. This survey's probably not relevant if you weren't spanked growing up but if you were, copy and paste the questions and share your views:1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Of course.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? rarely.
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? completely.
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Both parents, and maybe my grandmother.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Back-talk. Lying. ( I was a good kid. )
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Yes
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? It depended on my actions. Sometimes I had to bend, sometimes I just took it.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Both a wooden paddle, and their hands.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Both, again, it depended on me accepting my consequences. 
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? probably around 10, maybe younger, and most likely back talking.
11) Did you cry every time? no
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? I apologized and corrected myself.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Standing in the corner. 
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? I believe spanking is okay, beating is not. I want my kids growing up knowing the difference, and accepting consequences for their actions.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Not at all.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? As I got older, but not because I thought they'd spank me.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Yes I would spank them, as a first resort. As a kid it taught me more than standing in the corner ever could.
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? This is everyone's own perspective, I just strongly believe that spanking isn't wrong. Just don't beat your kids. That wouldn'y help or teach them, but spanking can.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? No (not for me personally but it depends on the child)
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? OFTEN
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? No I do not.
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Only my parents.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Anything almost. Not doing chores, being home late (from school, I never hung out with friends outside of school), not telling them I made it to school -_-, fighting with my brother, doing dances they thought were inappropriate etc etc etc
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Nope, never. I've gotten in trouble for the same things multiple times.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? On the spot or I would have to wait until my dad come home from work which could have meant another day, but I knew it was coming one way or another
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Belts, extension chords.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Clothes
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? Hmm 15 maybe 16. I came home late from school. I traveled about 1.5 hrs to get home everyday. It was valentines day and I stayed a little bit after to watch a basketball game waiting for my friend who rode home with me on public transportation. I was beat with 3 leather belts taped together, no joke.
11) Did you cry every time? Not once I got older.
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? They didn't. The only lesson I learned was that if you don't do this you'll get beat. I really didn't care after a while. I knew what I was supposed to do.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? That's it really besides taking my phone but that was usually paired with a "spanking"
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? It has to be the most serious situation for me to feel like I should hit a child. So serious that you have to show them how real it is by spanking them. I honestly don't agree with it. I would never want my child to feel how I felt and now feel. 
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Yes, I've had so much resentment toward/for my parents it's crazy. I'm just an angry person overral and I'm pretty sure that's where it stemmed from. I just turned 20 and we've finally gotten to a place where I can just hang out with them without arguing,
16) Were you afraid of your parents? Never. I didn't have many fears and still don't.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? I would try my best not to. I don't think my parents ever gave me the chance to prove I could do "the right thing" before they "spanked" us. That was the only option. There should be levels to punishment and somethings you have to let you children learn from and receive their own consequences to deal with. I never had that chance (if that makes sense)
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? I just know that the way I was raised shaped me into the kind of messed up person I am today; angry, violent (I don't actually become violent but I tend to have the feeling of wanting to hit someone whenever I'm angry), emotionally unavailable or I just tend not to show much emotion at all besides anger, guarded, snappy, etc. You don't realize how much certain things effect you until you're older.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? No
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)?  Often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? No, not at all 
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? My mom and no
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Mouthing off
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? I wasn't doing anything wrong 
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? It's just my mom, she would get up, run across the room, when I tried to get away she would turn me over and do it 
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? just hand
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Depends
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? I can't remember 
11) Did you cry every time?  yes
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? I didn't 
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Screaming at me in general
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? abuse 
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? yes
16) Were you afraid of your parents? very 
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? no, never
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? It's not right, it's abuse and it will just make the child angry and then want to do something worse 

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes. but only for something that is that serious. Running into traffic or touching the stove Yes. If they dont pick up their toys No.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Rarely, it was only for serious things
4) Who did the discipline in your house? My Parents Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? No
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Putting key's in the light socket, Touching the oven, Running from them in public
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Yes because i learned that it as a serious issue and did not want to do it agian
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? On the spot while standing. Just 2 quick swats
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? No
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Over clothes
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? Younger than 10 and i dont remember what i did,
11) Did you cry every time? No
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? I never did it again
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Soap in the mouth, Time out, Writing lines
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? I agree with it  Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? Necessary discipline. a quick swap on the butt is diffrent than beating a child senceless
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? No
16) Were you afraid of your parents? No i have an extramly close relationship to my parents
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? Yes.  If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? No i feel that how my parents did it is correct.
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? Nope, this was great.

mirandaminx:Hey! OK so this is a big (and sometimes controversial) debate that came up in a class of mine and its a topic thats come up a few times in conversations I've had with friends on how they were brought up. It's interesting to see how so many people view it as necessary discipline and just part of growing up, whereas others see it as a bad thing. Would be interesting to hear from the experiences of everyone here. This survey's probably not relevant if you weren't spanked growing up but if you were, copy and paste the questions and share your views:1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? / Really depends on the child.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)?  Only once.
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Really made much of a difference in my life.
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents?/ Both of my parents, No.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking?  Breaking something in the store, stealing.
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? I didn't want to get in trouble again,
and it hurt. 
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc?  No.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand?  I don't remember.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Clothes.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do?  5 I think.
11) Did you cry every time?  It was only one time.
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson?  I didn't do it anymore.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you?  Just ground me.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline?  Only time I see as abuse if you do it to feed your ego," like if you record yourself spanking your child.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? No.
16) Were you afraid of your parents?  No.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? No, not really.
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? No. 

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes! I do. Like anything, it can be taken to extremes but when used in moderation and as a last resort it can be very effective
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Yes, sometimes as a kid you just need to be shown where the line is and what the consequences of crossing the line are
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Both parents, noone else
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Lying, mouthing off, arguing, fighting my brother or sister etc 
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Yes
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? Bent over their knee
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Usally their hand, sometimes my mom used a wooden spoon if it was a very serious offence
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Bare bottom
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? I think i must have been 11 or 12
11) Did you cry every time? Usually yes
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? Not sure..maybe once they could see my butt was red enough lol! 
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? It was mainly spanking when I was young..also time outs and when I got older and they stopped spanking me it was grounding and taking away privileges
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? I dont think it's abuse when its used in moderation and when the kid understands what's right and wrong and wilfully chooses to disobey, knowing the consequences (i.e. a spanking).
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Definitely not
16) Were you afraid of your parents? No
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Yes I probably would but that wouldn't be my first resort or the only punishment I use
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? This was an interesting survey! I think too many people needlessly call spanking abuse when they don't recognise that abuse is something on a totally different scale to a few pops on the booty. If used correctly I don't see anything wrong with it being used as a last resort. Too many kids have no discipline and run riot without healthy fear of consequences. Talking to them and "time outs" etc can only do so much

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes I do
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Pretty often when I was really young...less often as I got older
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? In a way, yes
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? My mom mainly but also my aunt and uncle sometimes. Noone apart from people in my family have ever spanked me.?
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Talking back, being wilfully disobedient, throwing a tantrum in public or just generally being a brat!
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Yes, it was a quick way to suddenly stop me acting like a brat?
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you lay over their knee or over your bed etc? Usually over their knee or bent over a couch
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? I've been spanked with hands, paddles, belts...you name it :/
9) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? I must have been around 13/14. I called my mom a bitch and she tore my a** up!
10) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Bare bottom
11) Would you cry every time? Yah
12) How did your parents know if you learned your lesson? Because I'd never do the same thing twice!
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? As I got older, they moved more towards grounding, taking away my phone, privileges etc and less spanking
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? It's definitely not abuse if it's done correctly. You could definitely take it overboard and make it become abuse, but for the majority of parents who moderately spank their kids when they need it, it's really not abuse in my opinion.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Definitely not, I love my parents and understand why they needed to discipline me.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? I grew up with a healthy fear and respect for my parents
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Yes I would probably spank, if all other routes had been tried and didn't work. It would be a last resort.?
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? I honestly don't believe spanking is abuse at all. People need to learn to differentiate between getting a few swats on your butt versus getting 'beaten' or 'abused'...they're totally different things.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline?? Yes
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)?? Often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it?? Yes
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents?? My dad.? No body else.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking?? talking back, disobeying them.
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong?? sometimes
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc?? I had to bend over.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand?? wooden spoon
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes?? over clothes, unless I was in a bathing suit.? that was like being bare skin
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do?? 11.? I was caught playing show and tell with my cousin.
11) Did you cry every time??? Yes
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson??? I cried
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you?? grounded, no allowiance.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline?? It was necessary and it can be abuse if taken too far.? My parents knew when to stop.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents?? No
16) Were you afraid of your parents?? Kind of.? Afraid of what they do if I got caught doing something I shouldn't be doing.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents?? I probably would spank them if they didn't listen
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? no

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline?? Yes, most definitely!
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)?? VERY often.
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it?? Absolutely.
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents?? Both parents.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking?? Curfew, "backchat", attitude, fighting with siblings. You name it! lol
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong?? Usually.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc?? Touch my toes.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand?? Wooden paddle, belt.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes?? Always bare butt.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do?? 17. ?Yeah, embarassing, right?
11) Did you cry every time??? Yes!
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson??? I couldn't sit down for a few days.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you?? Grounding, taking away electronics.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline?? Not abuse. ?But definitely embarrassing!
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents?? No.
16) Were you afraid of your parents?? Yep. ?Still am!
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents?? YUP!
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? no

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline???No
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)??Very often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? ??No not at all
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents???My dad
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? ?If I didn't tell them I was going to a friends house or if I disobyed them on purpose, or if I was caught doing something bad
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? ?No. not that much, I just figured a way not to get caught
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc???Standing sometimes over the kneww
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? ?just there hand
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? ??Over clothes
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? ?10 i believe and I got caught kissing a boy and they thought I was too young. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Then I guess they thought I had to grow up because my dad was really upset and I think he was crying too.
11) Did you cry every time???Only when I was very little because I was more scared that I got in trouble then the spanking itself
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson??Made sure I didn't get caught
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you???Time out!!! And taking all of my stuff away
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline???Not that it was abuse it's just that it was useless on me, I don't know about others
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents???No
16) Were you afraid of your parents??My dad a little, I still am
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents??No I probably wouldn't
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions???No

1) believe spanking is an effective form of discipline???
only as a last resort

2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)??
maybe 5-10 times a year

3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? ??
No not at all it just made me sneak a lot

4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents???
both parents

5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? ?
misbehaviour, bad report cards, lying

6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong??
temporarily

7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc??
always at home. lying face down on the bed or over the arm of the chesterfield

8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand??
a belt up until 9, then they used an extension cord doubled up to a loop or a heavy bath brush

9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes??
always bare skin so I'd feel it more

10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do??
16, stealing

11) Did you cry every time??
yea

12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson??
set # of strokes 20 minimum. when i got caught stealing at 16, it was 100 with both the cord and the brush. worst one ever

13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you??
grounding

spanking is fine but not the way my parents did it. I could never sit for a few days after & that is too excessive
?
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents??
not really

16) Were you afraid of your parents??
yes

yes, only a swat on the clothed bum. not long whippings on the bare hiney with a cord

18) Do you have any further thoughts or c

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline??no
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)??almost every day
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it??i'm a better person in that i've been exposed to harsher things than most people i know, and i have a better temperament because i have a higher tolerance of abuse
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents??my mom and my dad
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking??they spanked me because they had no other way to take out their anger or stress
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong??i rarely did anything wrong to deserve the beating, but if i did something wrong, i would stop.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc??they would throw me around and slam me into walls and sometimes the floor before hitting me.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand??once my dad used a baseball bat, and my mom is a fan of belts and hangers.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes??bare skin, but only in places that could be hidden by clothes, like my stomach, legs, back, etc.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do??yesterday (i'm 16) my mom saw that I got a B+ on a math test.
11) Did you cry every time??yes.
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson??they stop when they're tired, because i've learned to not fight back.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you??their favorite was the abuse. but sometimes they would combine it with mild methods, like taking away my phone. they would also say demeaning things to me, like how my happiness pissed them off, and i shouldn't smile around them.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline??it was always abuse for me.?
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents??yes. i don't trust my parents.
16) Were you afraid of your parents??i still am.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents??i think i would use it only as necessary discipline, and never hard enough to deliberately leave marks. i would also never use an object.
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions??there's a fine line between discipline and abuse. i am a victim of abuse.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline?No!

3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? No

4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Mother

5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Not being perfect

6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? No

7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? On the spot and worse out of view of others

8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Yes alot more

9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? A spanking was a light punishment compared to what was to come but it let me know what to prepare for on how bad I was beat.

10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? 13 and I moved out of the house, but my situation was worse than a spanking.

11) Did you cry every time? No I began to loose emotion, it number my feelings to alot of things.

12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? I said sorry but she didn't learn.

13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Fists, kneeling on uncooked rice with a stack of books on my head to kneel harder, a wooden paddle, a belt,digging sharp finger nails into my skin, eating a table spoon of hot sauce if I talked back, eating a bar of soap, sleep deprivation by ringing bells at me, eating left over food from lunch or dinner for breakfast or no food at all, I ate hotdogs for 2weeks once breakfast lunch and dinner, pulling hair, throwing toys away or breaking them, to much to list.

14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? No, I have a good little boy thankfully and usually a strong HEY! gives him the "oh shit" feeling. Some kids though seem to deserve it but how do they even get that bad? Better parenting is the key.

15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Yes

16) Were you afraid of your parents?yes

17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? No, everything, how not to act.

18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? There is a difference between discipline and abuse.
?

It wont let me take the question mark out the end of my post.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? No.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)??Rarely.
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it??No.
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents??No one other than my parents and it was usually my dad.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking??Lying, not listening to my brother while he was in charge, not brushing my teeth once, too.?
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong??Technically yes, because it scared me.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc??Bigger event.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Ping pong paddle.?
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes??Over clothes.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do??I don't remember.
11) Did you cry every time??Yes.
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson??Probably because I was a puddle of tears saying I was sorry.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? ?Yelling, taking things away
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline??I wouldn't call it abuse in my case, because they only did it when "necessary" and didn't spank me over every little offense. I honestly don't think it's effective. I think it either just scares the child and/or just pisses them off.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents??Considering it happened so little, no.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? ?My dad yes, mom not so much. She didn't spank hard and only used her hand. The only time I remember her being the one to do it, I didn't brush my teeth before school, and she didn't have time to do it then, so she had to wait until after school and by that time she wasn't mad anymore, so when she did it, it didn't hurt at all.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents??I would talk it out with them, instead.?
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? I don't think it's the spanking that makes children listen and do as they're told, I think it's having a parent they can actually respect to be affected when it comes to listening.

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? No.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? I was spanked a few times, although my stepfather will say he only spanked me once.
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Not particularly.
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? My stepfather was the disciplinary figure in my house. My mom became more disciplinary after they separated. I have never been spanked by anyone other than my parents.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? ?My stepfather essentially spanked us when we did something he didn't like.
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Not because I recognized that what I did was wrong, but because I was afraid of him.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? ?On the spot.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Just his hand.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Over my clothes.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? I think I was five years old, and I can't remember.
11) Did you cry every time? Yes.
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? They didn't.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? There was a lot of yelling in my house.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? I don't think spanking is necessary at all. There are other ways to get your point across without what is basically hitting your children.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? Among other things.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? Just my stepfather.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? No. Like I said, there are plenty of other ways to get your point across and communicate with children without spanking.
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? No.

?1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline??Yeah I guess idk lol
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)??Eh pretty often, pretty much whenever I was bad?
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it??Eh, my parents seem to think so but honestly i don't really know.
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than
your parents? My dad mostly but my mom would too, and yeah I've been spanked by my aunt before.
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Mostly when I didn't listen to them or if I was "fresh"?
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong??Sometimes, but other times it made me want to do it more and see if I could get away with it lol.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc??Depends on what I did, but I mostly remember the ones where my dad took me over his knee and spanked me with his belt.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand??A spoon (my moms weapon of choice 😂) and a belt (my dads weapon of choice).
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes??Depends on the thing I did, if it was really bad I got it bare skin.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? I don't really remember my last one specifically. But I think it was when I was older like 10 or something.
11) Did you cry every time??Yeah mostly
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson??Idek
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you??I got to go have time outs after I got spanked. And now they just take things away like my iPod or iPad when I get in trouble.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? I mean I'm not against but I feel like my parents took it a little too far (with the whole belt and bare bottom thing) but it is pretty effective because I mean I wouldn't want to be spanked again so I would be scared to do that thing I did wrong (most of the time).
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents??Only smidge bit?
16) Were you afraid of your parents??When I did something bad I was.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents??yes, but it probably won't be like my main form of disipline (to my parents it was like the way to punish me)
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions?nah

?1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline?? sometimes
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)?? quite often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it?? better
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than
your parents? usually my step dad but sometimes my mom
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? nearly anything
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong?? no not really
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc?? it depended oon where we were, but usually bent over something or touching my toes.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand?? just the hand
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes?? always on bare skin
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do?? I still get spanked from time to time if I misbehave
11) Did you cry every time?? yes usually
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson??I dont know
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you?? none.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline?? i dont think its effective
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents??No.
16) Were you afraid of your parents??no
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents?? no
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions?no

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes, when it's used correctly
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Pretty often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Yes, I needed it when I was growing up because otherwise I would have turned into a brat!
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Pretty much was always my mom
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Lying, speaking rudely, not doing chores etc
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Usually yes
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? I usually have to go over my moms knee or lie over the bed
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Usually just the hand but sometimes she used a wooden spoon too!
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? It was always on my bare butt
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? 13, got caught sneaking out
11) Did you cry every time? Yes!
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? I guess when my butt turned red haha! i don't know
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? time outs and when i got older they started taking things away
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? It's not abuse when done in moderation and when it's done to seriously teach a child consequences.?
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? No, I respect my mom and understand why she had to discipline me
16) Were you afraid of your parents? Not really
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Yes, I'd probably raise them the same way I was
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? Nope

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes, sometime kids just need it!
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Pretty often. When i was younger I was a total brat and a bit of a drama queen! Still am too haha
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Yes I do, it was abuse. It was just a few slaps on the butt
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Both my mom and my dad equally
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Shouting, hitting my brother, lying
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong? Always...I didn't want to get spanked. That sh*t hurt!
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? Usually I had to bend over their knee
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Just with their hand and once with a spoon I think
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? If it was a small offense, then it was just a tap through the clothes. If it was a proper spanking then they'd pull my pants down and it would be on the bare butt
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? I think when i was 12 after I swore under my breathe at my mom. Big mistake :/
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? They'd always sit with me after and explain to my why I got the spanking and talk with me calmly. They knew i hate getting spanked, so I would try not to do the same thing again
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? When i was younger, it was mainly with spankings. When I got older it changed to things like taking away privileges and grounding. i'd rather get spanked though...it stings but it's over within minutes. grounding just carried on forever!
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? It's not abuse when done correctly and moderately when a kid chooses to carry on disobeying. Abuse is when you mentally or physically scar a kid and hit them or shout at them for no reason. Getting a few pops on your bum after being warned and you've deliberately still chosen to disobey your parents is not the same thing as 'abuse'. Calling it abuse is totally taking it out of context.?
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? No, are you kidding me?!
16) Were you afraid of your parents? I had a healthy fear of disappointing them when i was younger but nothing crazy
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Yes, I'd probbaly raise my kids the same way?
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? nope, all covered! interesting survey
?

Ok i'll try and be as honest as possible answering this too...

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline? Yes, I hated it at the time but it was effective
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often) Maybe once or twice a week?
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other thanyour parents? I rememeber getting spanked by grandma once, but noone else
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Mainly for bad attitude or for lying about something
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? Bent over the knee?
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Just their hand or of it was really bad, a wooden spoon
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Bare ass, always!
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? One year ago, I?went out with friends without my paents permission. They weren't happy!
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? I'm sure they could tell!
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? Especially when I was younger it was mainly spanking, but when I got older they used grounding more and took away privileges.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? When its used in moderation, I don't think it's abuse. Epecially with younger kids, sometimes you can't sit and talk reason with them, so spanking is sometimes the only way to make them learn consequences.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? I had a healthy fear of disobeying my parents when growing up
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Yes I'd spank when all else fails. I'd do it the same way that I was raised.

?

1) Do you believe spankings are an effective form of discipline? NO
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Very Often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? No
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? Mostly mother although if it was serious it was our father
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? It was quite random, sometimes very minor things, I got into trouble for playing out in my socks.
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong?? noooo
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? Mom did it on the spot, dad it wa a pralonged thing
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? I gott cained a few times on my hands, hairbrush occasionally was used by mum
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? 12
11) Did you cry every time? no
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? pass
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? grounding
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? it wasn't abuse
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? no not angry
16) Were you afraid of your parents? no
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? no
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions? I much rather get hit (which never bothered me ) then grounded?

1) Do you believe spanking is an effective form of discipline??Yes, it works.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)??Often
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it??Yes, I'd say so
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents??Mainly my mom and my grandparents.?
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking??Lying, getting into fights with my brother or sister, shouting back?
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong??I'd say yes...I usually wanted to avoid it at all costs
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger?event?by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc??Over the knee usually
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand??Just their hand
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? On my bare butt
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do??When I was 12 or 13, can't remember why
11) Did you cry every time??Yes, it was just a natural reaction
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? They knew!
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you??Grounding, taking away my stuff, shouting, time out (when i was younger(
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline??I don't think spanking is the same a beating you child. It shouldn't be overused, but as a last resort and ultra deterrent, I don't see anything wrong in it. Sometimes people just read too much into it
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents??No, not really
16) Were you afraid of your parents??Yes but that's not a bad thing growing up
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents??I'd spank if everything else fails.?
18) Do you have any further thoughts or comments not covered in the previous questions??Nope

1) Do you believe spankings are an effective form of discipline? I think they CAN be.
2) How often were you spanked growing up (rarely, often or very often)? Fairly often. At least a few times a year.
3) Do you feel you're a better or more disciplined person today because of it? Maybe. I don't know if other punishments alone might have worked just as well. I think being punished was an effective deterrent.
4) Who did the discipline in your house? Did you ever get spanked by anyone other than your parents? My parents about equally
5) What offences did your parents consider deserving of a spanking? Lying, swearing, backtalk, disobedience, hurting my little brother, getting in trouble at school
6) Was it effective in making you stop doing whatever you were doing wrong?? I guess. I didn't usually repeat the behaviour.
7) When your parents spanked, was it done on the spot while you were standing, or would they make it a bigger event by making you go over their knee or over your bed etc? A spanking was a big deal! The spanking was announced and I was immediately taken to my bedroom and taken over the knee. It was private away from other people, but the walk to my room was awful! I had to sit on my bed for a while after- sometimes for a few hours. Then if I had other punishments coming, I would be told of those.
8) Did your parents ever use an object to discipline you or was it just with their hand? Their hand. I got a ping pong paddle for I think 4 spankings total. Those were the worst.
9) When you were spanked, was it done on the bare skin or over your clothes? Always on the bare bottom.
10) What age did you get your last spanking and what did you do? 13. I stole money from my mother's wallet and lied. I tasted soap, got spanked and put to bed AND got grounded for 2 weeks.
11) Did you cry every time? Yep. I cried as soon as the sentence was announced.
12) How did your parents know you learned your lesson? I guess when my bottom was red enough.
13) What other discipline methods did your parents use on you? When I got spanked, I had to sit on my bed for a while. If I was really bad, I also had another punishment. Once I had my mouth washed out. I had a lot of early bedtimes after and a handful of times I was grounded....but I always got spanked first.
14) Now that you're older, what is your opinion on the use of spanking as a last resort? Do you feel it was abuse or at times necessary discipline? I think it is discipline. Some things work for some kids and others for other kids.
15) Do you believe that spanking may have led to anger and/or trust issues with your parents? No.
16) Were you afraid of your parents? Sometimes.
17) If you have children would you spank them as a last resort? If so, is there anything you would do differently compared to your parents? Maybe. I don't know. I think I would keep their pants up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread