Period while camping? disposal?

I'm going camping with my boyfriend's family this weekend, but I'll be starting my period right beforehand. All there is for bathrooms is an outhouse so I was just wondering; is it ok to dispose of tampons and pads in an outhouse? I thought it was but I've been reading that you aren't supposed to. There is going to be lots of people there so i can't really carry a plastic baggie with me to put any used supplies in. So ya I'm just wondering if it's ok to throw them out in an outhouse. Thanks! :)

Um...I would think tampons because they're so small. I would be more hesitant about pads because they're so much bigger and have more stuff in them. Tampons are just a bit of cotton and string but pads are layers of different types of 'paper' and more wicking chemicals and stuff. I would just take my purse and I have a little black drawstring bag and I would take a couple ziplocks and carry it with me. You don't have to just take a clear ziplock bag around with you. Disguise it in a makeup bag or just take your purse in with you. You can even cut a garbage bag down to size (cut one corner off) and stick a ziplock bag inside that and then use a twist-tie so it's just a little black baggie that you can stick and hide in the corner of a purse or suitcase and then dump at the first garbage can you come across.

so.. i can't put it in the outhouse? and I only said pads because I use them at night. My point is that I don't want to have to carry around a little baggie like that since the outhouse is on the other side from where my tent wil have to be, so I would have to walk past everyone and I'm embarrassed easily so I don't want everyone to know what I'm carrying. Nobody would believe I'm carrying a makeup bag into the outhouse, there's no light or mirror in there. I'm really just trying to find a way to save myself some embarrassment...

If you carry a small purse thingy, nobody will care. It could be anything, You could be changing your underwear. It doesn't matter. People don't think as much as you think they do.

k but why can't I drop it down in the outhouse like I would a normal bathroom? I won't since I apparently shouldn't but I haven't been told why you can't. that's all I really want to know.. 

another question now: lol

is it alright to just put the tampon itself down the outhouse since the cotton is biodegradable, then keep the aplicator and wrapping it comes in and throw that out when i can? I'm just wondering cause I'd prefer to not have to re wrap and store my used tampons... lol

Yes unless there's  a sig asking you not to you should be ok

kk ive been there before and theres no sign for anything. thanks!

sorry that this happened at this week. The best thing you can do is bring a bag with you. Leaving it on the ground in the forest is littering and in an out house it will stink up the out house and that is not nice for the other people that are using it, plus I would be embarassed to do that because ppeople will see the pads you throw in there.  

Not sure about when they're used but when you're taking them to the outhouse stuff them in your bra. 

Fantasygirl425:sorry that this happened at this week. The best thing you can do is bring a bag with you. Leaving it on the ground in the forest is littering and in an out house it will stink up the out house and that is not nice for the other people that are using it, plus I would be embarassed to do that because ppeople will see the pads you throw in there.   

I wouldn't leave it anywhere in the forest. If I throw tampons down there I will wrap them with a little toilet paper lol. i wouldn't want to gross anyone out... and I don't think the smell of a tampon is going to be noticible in an outhouse. We have a lot of people who go in and use that... I don't have a heavy flow so they don't get that disgusting anyway.

SweetSahara:Not sure about when they're used but when you're taking them to the outhouse stuff them in your bra.  

putting it in my bra is a good idea, can't believe I didn't think of that. lol thanks.

My advice to you is not get worried about it. Eww at the bra comment lol
There are junk removal services which are dedicated to clean out everything that is designated as trash. Just give them a call and they'll pick it up for you without any signs of disgust. I admire them so much that I buy them KFC or pizza during Christmas as a tip

Reply to Thread