I Would Love To Get An IUD But...

I would love to get an IUD but I get scared of the pain because I know I'm a chicken when it comes to pain. And I'll probably never know the feeling for me unless I do it. It's sucks to think about because it's like wow: 99% effective plus slim to no period (if we are in fact talking about the hormone IUD). But you gotta go through this pain to have these nice things. Anyone one else feel the same? And if you have a IUD, what was it like??

I'm getting Paragard and and from the videos I've watched on it, the pain only lasts a couple minutes. IMO 5 years of not having to worry about getting pregnant is worth a couple minutes of pain.

I had a little ache cramping at the most

I am a baby when it comes to pain too. Even having a pap is uncomfortable for my lady bits. But the pain part is about 5 minutes of the whole thing. You will likely have cramps now and then over the next week too, but mine weren't any worse than normal period cramps. It really is a small pain for a big gain.

Also, if you have anyone that you feel comfortable accompanying you for support, do it! My fiancee was a great help.

Hey ladies!
I just got my IUD (Jaydess) on Thursday, so I'll give you my first impressions.
1) Just like with piercings, the clamp hurts the worst (your cervix is clamped prior to insertion).
2) There is a LOT of metal going on down there during the procedure, and it feels weird.
3) It does hurt, but it is a different kind of pain. The sharp pain lasts less than a minute twice (once from the clamp, once for the actual insertion) and the cramping lasted about 8hrs of bad, lying in bed with a heat pack pain, 36hrs of taking Advil and Tylenol, and about a day of residual soreness afterwards.
4) It hurt less than any of my piercings, but its an unexpected type of pain that I don't know how to describe.
5) Your vaginal cavity will be sore afterwards.
6) Wait longer than 6 hrs before trying to insert a menstrual cup (due to the aforementioned soreness, your vaginal muscles will clench and it will be very difficult and can be painful).
7) The peace of mind is totally worth it!
8) I feel totally fine today, worked (as a labourer) all day Friday with no problems, and was good to go out and party on Saturday :)
So there's my take on it! Hope this helped :)
<3

undefined:
undefined

What kind of bleeding have you experienced so far??

undefined:
undefined

Well I personally got mine on my period, which are really unpredicable, so I assume just normal period bleeding...perhaps slightly heavier in the 24hrs directly after insertion.?
Sorry I can't be of more help!
<3

undefined:
undefined

Ah, thanks anyway :) The amount of time you spend bleeding after insertion is?one of my only concerns. Like I've seen mixed reviews on it. Some are nightmares, and some go perfectly fine. As minor as spotting for a long period of time sounds, it's still not something I'm looking forward to. Plus I get kind of confused when they talk about the bleeding.

undefined:
undefined

Update! My period stopped completely yesterday, and was only spotting the day before...nothing today or yesterday so far! For me personally the spotting wasn't a huge issue because I get it anyways, but I can see how it would turn some people off. The problem is it's completely different for everyone, so they can't just say "yes you will bleed occasionally for this many months and then bam, nada" as much as we wish they could :P As far as my gyno told me its not much different than switching birth control pills - you know how they say the first 1-3 months will be weird as your body adjusts? It is super confusing, that's for sure!
<3

Oh god, I guess I am never getting an IUD, I don't think I could deal with this 'weird, new pain' in my female area!! :O I will just stick with the pill then... Nooopeeee

The way I see it, a couple minutes of pain and a few months of spotting for 5 years of not having to worry about getting pregnant is a pretty good deal

undefined:
undefined

It's only for a minute or so that it truely hurts...and remember, the human body cannot remember pain, only the experience. So I honestly barely remember it being painful at all! If someone asked me today my first instinct would be to say it wasn't bad at all because I don't remember the pain anymore. And it's in your abdomen that you feel pain, not the vaginal area, if that helps! But plenty of people are perfectly happy on the pill and never wish to change (I imagine you all are wayyyyy better than I at actually taking it on time :P). Your body, your choice, don't let anyone tell you otherwise :)
<3

undefined:
undefined

I agree fully (said as the person who since she was 12 never took her pills on time :P)

Actually, saying that it hurts in the abdomen and not the vagina is very helpful! But I am very very tight, and that artificial thing being inside of me, brrrr... But thanks for cheering me up!
So after how much time of taking it out do you actually become fertile? Do you get some fake period like if you are on the pill?

And no, I can't really take it on time, haha :D Once I left out a whole days pill. Usually when I am not on time, I take it with 3-4 hours of difference, that shouldn't be too bad I guess O.o Or is it? Otherwise I get a push notification on my phone and also an email each day, so that helps a lot :D I justo ?wish my boyfriend asked every single day, I couldn't get him to do it.?

Never having to worry about pregnancy is very good. But I am the type whose blood pressure drops and almost faints at almost every single medical thing, even at the dentist, or when they tried to put in contacts to my eye! I just can't stand medical manipulating with my body. Or any manipulation... I am weak I know. :D Is it possible to put it up while I am asleep from anaesthetics? :O The pain after would be bearable, I just don't want to be aware :O?

undefined:
undefined

Haha I felt the same way about all the metal things inside me...I think that was the weirdest thing! My little percription advice paper thingy warns that as soon as you take it out you are essentially fertile, and in fact if you have had unprotected sex in the ?7? days before you take it out you may get pregnant (because conception takes time and all of that science-y stuff :P) so be careful! So, while I'd ask your gyno for the best advice, say you'd wanna have a plan in place if you're going to be having unprotected sex or you have it removed suddenly (for what reasons, I do not know, but I assume there could be some!).
I used to use an app called Clue which I found really helped! (I actually still use it just to track headaches and discharge/spotting actually).
I know the feeling, I have an incredible phobia of needles and faint so easily! I'd say there's no way they'd put you under for it, there'd be more risk doing that than having you faint (plus you'd need to be in an OR, with a bunch of extra people in the room, and it would cost so much more, and yeah....I don't think they'd do it). However it really, really isn't all that bad! It's in no way unbearable :) I'm not lying at all when I say now I don't even remember the pain!?
ALthough, if you did want an option where?anesthetic was an option, you may want to consider getting the implant. It's about ?5-8? little stick-like things that are inserted under the muscle layers in your arm. I believe they last 5 years on average. You can google it though for more info, or ask your gyno/NP about it :)?
Hope this helped! <3

Reply to Thread