hey so im due to get an IUD in the next few months and i am really scared that it will be painful. does anyone have any experience with IUDs? if so tell me ur story... IM SO SCARED

It will be painful, but it also depends on your tolerance to pain how well you'll handle it. It only lasts for a few minutes, and trust me, those few minutes are worth the trouble. What sucked with mine, was that it had to last a little longer than usual, because I had a defective applicator. So when my awesome nurse pulled it out, the IUD came with it, and they had to run and get another one. The cramps afterwards are pretty intense, but like I said, this doesn't last long. The anticipation is probably worse than the actual precedure, because once you get started, you just take it as it comes until it's over and you're good.

You'll feel a little funny afterwards, but nothing painful. You'll also have some pretty unpredictable spotting for a few months, but until you get to a point that you're not even bleeding enough for it to make it onto your panties, just a panty liner would have you covered.

Intrauterine Device (IUD)
?The intrauterine device, most commonly??referred to as an IUD, is a form of birth control. Shaped like a small "T", it s placed in your uterus by your doctor or healthcare provider. Your cervix then holds it tightly in place. IUD effectiveness is unchallenged; the IUD failure rate is less than 1 percent. In fact, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, IUDs are more effective at birth control than the pill,?the vaginal ring, the patch and prophylactics.Despite their effectiveness and safety, fewer than five percent of women under 30 use them. Part of the reason is misinformation about the IUD insertion process. All the concerns are addressed below, but if you re looking for a birth control method that you can rely on and forget about, consider getting an IUD.
?ParaGard vs MirenaTwo types of IUDs exist, and there are three main brands to choose from. Talk to your?best gyno nyc?about which might be best for you:
Nonhormonal IUDs (ParaGard) are wrapped with copper
Hormonal IUDs (Mirena and Skyla) use the hormone progestin

The non-hormonal IUDs emit copper ions that kill or confuse sperm cells. They are hormone-free and can last 10 to 12 years. Since they are chemical-free, they disrupt your normal menstrual cycle less than other forms of birth control. You can even insert one up to five days after unprotected sex as an emergency contraceptive.The hormonal IUDs can last from three to five years, depending on the brand you use. Skyla is smaller than Mirena, but otherwise they re the same. Every day, the device releases a small amount of progestin, creating a plug of mucus at your cervix that prevents sperm from passing.

I don't have any experience with IUD. I was thinking of getting one before but I backed out because I read lots of posts from girls who got it and they said that the insertion was too painful. I also read about the negative effects online an the negative effects outweighed the positive for me. I think I'll just rather stick to pills and condoms.

Reply to Thread