What is Love? (baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more)

If you have ever been in love, how did you know that you loved the person?  

How long were you together?  

Was it an ah-ha, epiphany moment where everything suddenly seemed clear, or a gradual realization?

Do you think that there is a difference between loving someone and being in love?

And, finally, what is love? (baby don't hurt me... don't hurt me... no more!) But seriously haha :D

1. yes. when i realized that i could be myself without judgment, and that i wasn't the same person i used to be. it was when i had no choice in my feelings or how hard i fell, i gave all my heart, and felt like it could never be enough.
2. seven months so far :)
3. both. u realize along the way how easy it is and how attached you're becoming before u suddenly can't live without them (people say u should never give all of yourself to someone in case they hurt u, but if u truly love them, you can't control it)
4. yes. u can love someone and be willing to do anything for them, but it's not the same as being in love, where you feel that child-like spark of attraction. if it's meant to be, you'll do everything you can to always have both. it's hard to have just one or the other and still make the relationship survive
5. love is putting another person above yourself. giving them the power to destroy you and take everything from you if they ever chose to leave, but trusting them not to. wanting to do anything to make them smile. it's the inside jokes that no one understands. it's the ties that bind beyond blood, and the trust and respect and faith in another person who makes you happy in ways that words can't describe, and that you'd do anything for, knowing that they'd do the same without hesitation.

to me, love is everything. love is having it all, but not in money or materials. it's what we're told to stop believing in because it "doesn't exist", but don't give up on those childhood dreams. if you look for it, it's there waiting. anything less than everything is settling :)

If you have ever been in love, how did you know that you loved the person?  I almost blurted out "I love you" on more than one occasion. It was something I had to actually hold back from saying because we didn't know each other long.

How long were you together?  2 weeks, but then at the one month point he told me he loved me and I was happy to say it back. I know it sounds like a really short period of time but we are still together over 2 years later. I think it was because we spent a LOT of time together and I could feel he was genuine with me. And I'm far from naive. I had dated a LOT of guys for years but couldn't settle in a relationship.

Was it an ah-ha, epiphany moment where everything suddenly seemed clear, or a gradual realization? Gradual realization but quick at the same time. Like I said I realized after 2 weeks of knowing him but waited 2 more weeks to be sure. Now, the love is still growing by the month.

Do you think that there is a difference between loving someone and being in love? Yes, I think so. I think loving someone is being attached to them and caring for them. Being in love includes passion and a higher connection where you only feel as one.

rainbowpony16 wrote:

I knew that I loved him when I realized I wanted the best for him, even if it didn't benefit me, even if it hurt me. I knew I loved him when I realized that I knew all of his faults, I had seen him at his absolute worst, and I still wanted to be with him. 

We were together about 8 months when I realized I loved him. We have now been together 5 years. 

Was it an ah-ha, epiphany moment where everything suddenly seemed clear, or a gradual realization?

Definitely a gradual realization. It didn't hit me all at once.

Do you think that there is a difference between loving someone and being in love?

Absolutely. I think the phrase "in love" is simply talking about infatuation. Infatuation is the butterflies in your stomach and the "lovey dovey" feeling you get when you are at the beginning of your relationship. Loving someone is sacrificing for their greater good. Loving someone is accepting their faults, but always encouraging them to grow and be better. Loving someone is risking completely and being vulnerable at your weakest times and trusting them to stay by your side. There is lots more, I could go on and on, but I will spare everyone my novel about love. :)

If you have ever been in love, how did you know that you loved the person?  I just knew. The second I saw him before we even met I turned to my friend and said I am going to date that guy. We were friends for awhile because when we met he had a girlfriend. They broke up, we got together. I felt like I was in love with him before we even started dating.

How long were you together?  We have been together for 9 years now and counting :) Happily. 

Was it an ah-ha, epiphany moment where everything suddenly seemed clear, or a gradual realization? an Ah-Ha moment, definetly. 

Do you think that there is a difference between loving someone and being in love? Of course. I love my friends and family, I am in love with my boyfriend. I think when you are in love you don't even have to think about it or question it. 

And, finally, what is love? Love is unconditional genuine friendship. Someone who you trust completely with everything. They know all your deepest secrets, you never doubt them, you can talk about anything with them even embarrassing stuff. In certain situations you put them and their needs before your own without even realizing it. You would do anything for this person. (with in reason). You constantly want to do new and exciting things with this person, travel, go on adventures. Love is not happy and bubbly all the time don't get me wrong, people in love still fight once in awhile but the difference is when you are in love you never ever consider giving up on that person. You get through the hard times together and leaving doesn't even feel like an option. :) I don't really know how to explain love it is hard to put into words. I did my best. 

1. I've been really in love twice.  In a lot of relationships it's really easy to just focus on how happy they make you. For me, I knew I was in love when I cared just as much about making them happy.

2. As I said, I've been in love twice.  The first was 2.5 Years, the second is my current relationship (1.5 years thus far).

3. Definitely a gradual realization. Personally, I'm really terrible with feelings, so I did a lot of second guessing myself and trying to convince myself the other way. 

4. Absolutely. My first real relationship lasted 4 years.  He was a great guy and he made me really happy.  I loved him because he was my best friend and he made me happy for several years - but I wasn't IN love with him.  Being in love means so much more. As I said before, being in love is when it's no longer just about how happy the other person makes you, but how happy you can make them in return.  It's realizing this unbelievable connection with someone. 

Overall, I'd say don't try and figure out love.  You'll know when it happens and it isn't something that will EVER make sense; as sappy as it sounds, it isn't supposed to make sense.

i LOVE that song!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) aaaahh the days where music was real and not just "baby baby baby oooooh" lol

anyway::::::

was i in love?:  many many many times... i don't look it but i'm a romantic. i'm in love with love and the thought of the everlasting prince charming who will drive me with his motorcycle.  i was in love with one guy at a time or a few!  ooh i remember high school when i thought "oh how cute is he..*looking at another guy*...omg that guy is way hotter than him!"

how long were you together?:   most of them- 0 (just sweet dreams),  one for a month or 2,  and my current one is almost 6 months (hurrayyyyyyy :D) 

how did i find out? that i was in love? after a few dates with the current one...  and love well much later after a month i realized YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  it was the epiphamy of the millinium. someone who asked me "what do you think is love?" and i said what i think and she said "well is that how you feel towards him?" i quietly said...yes when she replied "th love him"....and i thought for a minute and was like "omg i do love him!!".  yup ^_^

do you think there is a difference?  definitely!!!!! from what i have learned being in love is being infatuated, feeling this huge attraction and somtimes chemistry with the guy.   it can wrongly be mistaken for LOVE when you feel the butterflies and the excitement..  HOWEVER that is not the case...  love makes you feel safe, not terrified...at peace, not at war... when you know you can say anything to the guy (good, mean, with a sweet tone or a loud tone) and he won't walk away,  when you know that if you fall he'll be right behind you,  and when you cry he'll make you laugh/will listen to you vent. 

I dont just understand myself anymore everytime he does something im just not okay with my mind will be like yelling at him buh when I see him it just melts away

Yup, I am right now.
I knew it when I couldn't stop thinking about him (not as in "He's so dreamy", but really all "Holy crap, get out of my mind. I'm doing a math test!!"). I always wanted to be with him, and when I was with him, it was like nothing really mattered, it was just us. That sounds so cliche.

We're still together now. As of a few weeks ago, 2 years. Apparently that's a lot for two people in highschool (graduated), which is really ridiculous if you ask me...

Was it an ah-ha, epiphany moment where everything suddenly seemed clear, or a gradual realization?

Sort of both. I figured at first it was a crush, just a crush. I always told myself "At least in college/university" but my mind was all "NOPE!". We hung out and got to know eachother for FIVE months before we started dating and I was in denial, because I was so pessemistic. Then I just suddenly figured, "Okay. I am in love. Who would have thought that I would be in love?"
People always claimed I was asexual cause I never had any interest in guys. XD

Difficult to explain but yes. Being in love is more individual so to say. The attraction mainly. But loving someone is kind of the act of showing it..? Loving someone is when you'd always be there for them no matter what, you'd give up anything for them to be happy, and you make sure they always know it.

And, finally, what is love? (baby don't hurt me... don't hurt me... no more!)

I can't really explain it, it's something you figure out yourself. I've just been in a single relationship (my current one) but people say I have good relationship advice when it comes to this stuff. You can't just assume or describe love, everyone experiences it the same, yet different. I always tell people "Don't go searching for a boyfriend or girlfriend. It will happen when it happens and when it does, actual love is more likely to show than an infatuation or lust."
Love isn't just attraction. It's not those crushes you get. For example, this one guy had a crush on me but it was just a temporary infatuation. He gave up when I wa sunresponsive to his flirting and advances (ignored them basically). Love doesn't just drop when something like that happens.

I think I'm going off-topic. It's late. ._.

When I was able to be happy again (after my ex fiance, whom I thought I loved, but it was nothing compared to the way I feel now) and forget about things that happened in the past.  The first night I met him, I didn't want to say goodbye.  

It was the first date that I started to fall in love, and first started believing in love at first sight.  Our 2 year anniversary is next month.  =]

In a way, both.  I was scared to get hurt, but I couldn't help falling in love with him.  I did start that night, but I was too scared to admit it until a few weeks later.  

As cliche as it is, yes.  There is a huge difference.  

And, finally, what is love?

It's different for everyone.  For me, it's a feeling that can conquer everything else.  

If you have ever been in love, how did you know that you loved the person?  I believe I've been in love nine times, that is with nine different people. I didn't date them all, and wasn't even friends with a couple. But they stood out to me and I know I'll never forget them. I don't believe there's such a thing as "the one" or falling out of love. It can happen in many places and many times.

How long were you together?  Well the ones I dated lasted, in order: 4 months, 3 months, 3 months, 10 months. But love is forever. Some I never dated, and have just loved for years. The one I'm with now, currently going-on six months, got back together with me after it not working out years ago. Here's hoping for a forever.

Was it an ah-ha, epiphany moment where everything suddenly seemed clear, or a gradual realization? A little of each, depending on the guy. There were a couple of love-at-first-sight cases, and a few more that I didn't realize until a few months later, and a few still that I fell for some time after meeting them.

Do you think that there is a difference between loving someone and being in love? Sort of kind of, in that you can love people like friends and family but not have the kind of feelings that you do with someone you're in love with. And I've been in love with a lot of guys who are difficult, frustrating, and I don't always think so highly of, but it the way I feel on the inside trumps how hard it is to love them on the outside.

And, finally, what is love? (baby don't hurt me... don't hurt me... no more!) But seriously haha :smileyvery-happy:

"Love is a bond without reason, a cry for connection, a light in your eyes

Love is a reason for living, a reason for dying, a reason for life"

-The Juliana Theory (see, I can quote song lyrics too!)

I have been in love. She was my first girlfriend and I met her my freshman year of high school in our math class. I knew I loved her when I hugged her and felt like I never wanted to move, when I felt like I would do anything to make her happy, and when I felt like I could never imagine my life without her in it. 

We are still together. We have been together for six and a half years. 

I believe it was an instant attraction and infatuation, but the moment I realized I loved her was an ah ha moment while I was looking at her in class and she was answering a question. I just looked at her and thought "I could not possibly adore someone any more than I do her" and then immediately thought "OMG I'm in love". 

I do think there's a difference. I think being in love is romance, intimacy, sex, lust, infatuation, and desire-- it's more like falling in love. And loving someone is the deeper affection that comes along after the falling in love. The intimacy, romance, and desire is still there, but it is combined with much deeper feelings like admiration, respect, caring, attachment, etc. 

I think that this is a question that someone can only answer for themselves. You can answer it by dictionary definition or by example or by abstract ideas, but in the end only you know when you feel that kind of love for another person and what love means to you. 

I valued his life as much as if not more than my own. I cared about his well being physically, mentally, emotionally etc. I enjoyed being with him more than anyone else and could spend countless time with him. Our values and goals intertwined.

We are still together  it will be 3 years on 2/13/13. He has been my only boyfriend and love and we could see us being together for the rest of our lives.  Though we said we loved each other rather early in the relationship (like a few weeks) but I really felt it.

Even though we said it rather early on I would still say it is a gradual realization. I think people can have moments where you realize you love them or you remember why you love them so much but at the same time the feeling is there building up over time.

I'm not really picky on the terms used like "loving someone" and "being in love" it really just depends on how the person defines them but I do believe there are differences in love. A lot of things in love are the same like when I love both my boyfriend and family or even my friends (which I'm one who doesn't tend to throw the word love around in friendship but still) it is because I value their life just as much if not more than mine (like I would rather die before my boyfriend and I would rather die before my sisters etc) and I care about their over all well being. I think the part that varies is when you pick a significant other to be in love with is you are picking someone similar to you, someone you can easily spend a lot of time with and someone your goals and values intertwine with when family and even friends you can have many more differences or different values and goals and not necessarily want to spend all your time with them. (I prefer being around my boyfriend and like more things my boyfriend likes than I prefer being around my sisters or like the things they do). There is also the bit about being romantically (or physically) attracted to your significant other that would be pretty awkward with family or friends haha.

And, finally, what is love?

A powerful feeling or emotion for someone or something else. Although in ways it is indescribable it is also normally described with a multitude of other good emotions, adjectives and words such as happiness, joy, passion, romance, compassion, attraction, affection, friendship, care, comfort, security, stability, perseverance, timeless, unconditional, etc.

Reply to Thread