Need Help Breaking Up With My Boyfriend

I've been dating this guy for 2 years now, I do care about him, but I don't think I'm in love with him anymore. It breaks my heart because I know he loves me, and I kind of feel stupid for wanting to break up with someone who probably loves me more than anyone. I've been feeling distant around him lately and kind of cranky because of how I feel. We got into a fight about this a couple days ago and I kind of saw it as an easy way out. He ended up calling me 5 minutes later and apologizing for getting mad at me, then he told me that hes been feeling sucidal lately because of how we have been and because his work has been stressing him out, That part really scared me. I couldn't bring myself to break up with him, if he commited suicide becasue we broke up, I don't know what I would do. He doesn't really have any close friends or family, and his work has been doing pretty poorly. I really do care about him, but I don't think I want to be with him for the rest of my life. Any advice on how to handle this situation? I really don't know what to do. ?

Well let me just ask first, is it possible his stress with work and these other issues is the reason you aren't feeling as connected lately? In other words if that was better could it possibly save the relationship? If so then maybe think about it from that standpoint, how to help or how that stuff can be different.

If not, then you're right this is a tough situation but in the long run it's not good for him or for you to stay in a relationship that WILL end it's just a question of when. Good luck? :/

I'm not sure if it would make a difference. A main factor for me is our age difference, it didn't used to bother me but I feel its starting to kind of creep up on us. I'm 20, and he's 33. I want to experience more in life and I feel like being with him kind of holds me back from being with my friends, and going out. I like being active and want to go on fun adventures, and everything seems to hurt him XD, he even already has arthritis in his knees. I do care about the guy, and I appreciate that he tries to keep up, but I just feel a drag. I almost feel like I'm getting younger and he's getting older. My father also dislikes him which defiently causes a strain and I don't like feeling that I'm disappointing my dad. It's just hard becasue I do care about him, the thought of him not in my life does make me sad, but I feel once I get past that, things would be better, possibly. I'm also at a point in my life where I feel I really need to focus on me. School has been crazy, I need to figure out how to get work experience for my degree, I want to try get into a club or sport at school, it's stressful trying to find time to see him.?

Reply to Thread