when is marijuana such a big thing in America??

hey gurls,
?im from Jamaica i know that im prob buying into the sterotype that all jamaicans smoke weed which we dont!!!! just to make it clear
but based on tv shows and talking to americans smoking it is such a "cool" thing to do and their friends force them to do it and if they dont theyre considered lame and if they do they think theyre so cool and hip (yes i said hip) and im like wtf??? its just weed its a herb something you grow in the garden and ur gonna act like ur a big shot or call some one lame cause they dont try it ......in Ja if some smokes its like k den no one really cares and being in high school there was no pressure at all to smoke it. no one was sitting ina circle passing a joint around and getting high because thats considered lame we had home work to do and sports to play it was never some secret thing that only the in crowd do it was just weed and because we have that preception of it there wasnt much hype about weed and majority of Jamaicans dont smoke. i think because we normalize it...its not a taboo and you know how some ppl are if you tell them not to do it or its bad for them thats gonna make them wanna do it even more.
and i share the same centement about alcohol...who do american teens think getting drunk/wasted is cool like seriously u do that out here ur gonna lose friends cause thats just dumb and sloppy. alcohol is no big deal and i have NEVER met an alcoholic in my life while living in jamaica because its apart of our culture ?so the need to overdose and indulge is not there i had my 1st taste when i was 6 and i was raised in an extremly religious family and we all drink and all enjoy it and none for us are alcholoics and the same goes for everyone i know

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!! THIS IS A GENERAL POST IM NOT SAYING ALL AMERICANS ARE ALCOHOLICS OR SMOKE TO BE COOL IM JUST POINTING OUT THE CULTURE DIFFERENCE AND THAT IF YOU GUYS WERE AS CHILLED ABOUT IT AS WE ARE THERE WOULDNT BE SO MANY YOUTHS DRINKING AND SMOKING JUST TO FIT IN
WHO THE CAP FIT LET THEM WEAR IT

I've been to Jamaica and have seen alot of alcoholics and drug addicts around the Montego bay area. They were tore up screaming white devil go back home we don't want you here etc. As for being pressured that may be something kids do but not adults, I couldn't care less if you didn't smoke its more for me anyway. But it is like you said it is more normal in Jamaica and it is taboo in America because it is illegal mostly. I personally think it should be legal along with everything else. If people want to destroy their own lives let them it should not be up to the government to decide for them. They also spend billions on a problem which they can never stop when this money should be spent on schools, roads, hospitals etc. Their only hope could be to legalize it, grow it themselves and flood the market with drugs to eventually make it worthless. With such cheap drugs, crime could only go down, everybody who wants to get high would have what they want and be to loaded to care about robbing houses, committing murder, etc. Just my opinion. I've also been to Amsterdam where weed xtc and prostitution is legal and there crime rate is very low they also have some of the best programs for addicts and help for addiction.

please do not confuse mentally insane or racism for alcoholism or being a drug addict, there is a huge difference :) and weed is not legal here, they have recently decriminalize it but u can still get arrected if caught with certain amount and for growing it without scientific or religious reasons
i agree with you to some extent, i dont think legalizing all drugs will fix all those problems cause liets face it many of the murders and robberies are not driven by need for money for money for drugs only a tiny percentage and i think the only drug that should be legalized is weed cause i dont consider it a drug, stuff like heroin crack lsd molly etc should be illegal because they alter the brain and causes ppl to do things that they arnt even aware that theyre doing such as murder rape, beating ur gf to a pulp you know the saying "blame it on the alcohol" or in this instance it would be drugs. i there there must be a balance . everything cant be legal and people cant go around all willy nilly doing stuff just because . someof the reasons stopping people from doing dangerous stuff or commiting crimes is because of the consequences of doing so, so not all drugs should be legalized dear

Reply to Thread