What age is too young to drink?

Just wanted to start a debate - how young is too young to drink alcohol, in your opinion?

I realise this varies by country with some places having no age limit (Norway) and other countries refusing to serve anyone under 21 (USA). I realise some places have very unenforced drinking laws (Ireland) and others allow drinking provided the parent gives consent from a younger age (Portugal).

What's your take on it?
 If you ran the country, what would you set the drinking age at? Why?

How young is too young to drink alcohol, in your opinion? 25 lol yea that's around the age your brain stops developing so if you drink before that the effects on your brain can be bad.

If I ran this country (USA) I'd bump it down to at least 18. I know that seems to go against my logic but I don't care. Though I can also see 18 or with consent of parent if you are younger though in my opinion you shouldn't really getting drunk before at least 18.  I didn't first start drinking till I was 20. Which is illegal here but I rarely do it any how because alchohol tastes gross and getting drunk and all the other bad effects are scary. So I'll stick to weed lol. 

raycheezi wrote:

honestly, if i ran the country (USA), i would make it illegal. i have seen and experienced so many ugly things that would not have happened without alcohol being involved.

Remember prohibition? We tried that. It really didn't work.

Wanna know what it did lead to? The mob. People dying from trying to make alcohol in their bathtub. Huge increases in organized crime. 

dreams-reality wrote:

Just wanted to start a debate - how young is too young to drink alcohol, in your opinion?

I realise this varies by country with some places having no age limit (Norway) and other countries refusing to serve anyone under 21 (USA). I realise some places have very unenforced drinking laws (Ireland) and others allow drinking provided the parent gives consent from a younger age (Portugal).

What's your take on it?

I think the debate could go either way. I personally think that if you learn how to drink alcohol responsibly and you take the taboo out of it, it might reduce the number of kids who get alcohol poisoning when they try to binge drink. However, if you look at countries that have cultural institutions where kids drink alcohol with dinner and they're introduced to it at a young age, you'd think they'd learn to drink in moderation. That's not the case. Those same countries actually have higher incidences of alcoholism...and not just a little bit higher, either. I don't understand why, but it's a pretty significant correlation. I think it really comes down to people learning to have some self-control. 

Prohibition doesn't make sense to me at all. All you need to do is open a textbook. In the early 1900s, prohibitionists argued that every vice in America could ultimately be traced back to drinking alcohol. So, we went and passed a constitutional amendment making it illegal...but all that did was foster the Mob and just led to more immoral things because nobody respected the law.  

If you ran the country, what would you set the drinking age at? Why?

The drinking age has been a huge debate for awhile. It's been changed between 18 and 21 over the last 100 years multiple times. For me, it all comes down to the logic of the whole thing. The biggest argument for having the drinking age be 21 is about maturity and being able to make decisions...But then we go and set the age to enlist in the military at 18. Seriously? You are mature enough at 18 to die for your country but not mature enough to have a beer for another three years? Doesn't make much sense. I understand, though, that another argument is that it should be over 18 to keep alcohol out of schools, which I completely appreciate. But at a minimum, I would set the drinking age and the age to enlist as the same number. Idk, lets pick something like 20 and be done with it. lol.

raycheezi wrote:

flamingoccm wrote:

raycheezi wrote:

honestly, if i ran the country (USA), i would make it illegal. i have seen and experienced so many ugly things that would not have happened without alcohol being involved.

Remember prohibition? We tried that. It really didn't work.

Wanna know what it did lead to? The mob. People dying from trying to make alcohol in their bathtub. Huge increases in organized crime. 

you are completely correct. i guess i was thinking more of a fantasy life, where if people wanted to drink, they could find it on the black market. i just don't think it should be as readily available for one, and for two be so "accepted" in our society.

it is a very powerful drug. we view it as something it's not. the alcohol companies tell you you will have fun, you will be popular, sexy, cool, etc. i have NEVER seen an outcome like that after people get together and drink.

i know more people addicted to alcohol than any other substance. it's sad, and ugly. 

I totally understand why people would want it illegal. I personally don't understand why cigarettes are legal. Really, cigarettes aren't just a personal decision to end your life. It's a decision to end someone else's life too. I mean, I get that sounds extremist, but think about it: Every time you are around someone who smokes, you're increasing your risk of getting cancer. People who have made healthy choices their entire lives can still get smoking-related lung cancer from secondhand smoke. I've had three of four grandparents die because they smoked, but their generation didn't know the risks. Ours does. Even our parents' does. I don't understand why people would be so careless about their own lives, much less risk the lives of every single person around them.

I suppose alcohol is similar. But there's a difference between being an alcoholic and drinking, and that's a key differentiation. I can drink alcohol at a party and have enough self control not to get absolutely blackout drunk. I've been to events with alcohol present and it's not like we couldn't have had fun without it, but it didn't hurt anything. It's when people stop having self control that you have an issue. We are teaching our generation that everyone is a winner and that consequences are irrelevent because taking responsibility for our own actions isn't important. That's an issue. You can't treat society as a junkie. You can't assume that everyone has as little self-control and integrity as the people you know. It starts with thinking for yourself, and not simply being a lemming. I always thought it was so stupid that we spend so much time in school analyzing ad campaigns because I couldn't understand how people didn't look at it as an ad, and nothing more. It's not a promise that you'll get laid with...**bleep**, literally anything you can buy. It's not a promise that you'll be cool and popular. It's not. Teach people to think for themselves. Question the things that they hear. 

The problem is that if you wanted to drink you wouldn't have to find it on the black market. People didn't during prohibition. They just made it themselves and then fenced it to the highest bidder. By making it illegal, you'd probably just increase the issue. It's like abstinence-only sex ed. It doesn't work because you're making it something they cannot have without a rationalization as to why other than basically "Because I said so." Would a conversation about alcohol consumption be a bit uncomfortable for a parent to have with their child? Maybe. But it's better than getting a call from the hospital that their child is there for alcohol poisoning. I'm glad I had that conversation with my parents. I know alcoholism runs rampant in my family, so I make my decisions accordingly.

Then again, I suppose that I'm thinking of a fantasy life as well, where people would actually make responsible decisions and take responsiblity for things. Common sense isn't all that common.

It's definitely not an easy answer.

I think one of the largest problems is that we encourage social and public drinking, which really never leads to anything good. Giving people alcohol and then making them have to get back home, then we're surprised that there's been little dent int he drinking/driving rates.

I wonder if the problem is less about banning alcohol itself and more about banning the serving of it in places like bars/pubs/etc. How many thousands of times have you heard (or seen) people stumbling out of bars and often getting into trouble afterwards or making a pest out of themselves in some other way at someone else's expense. When you really break it down to it's absolute simplest terms, the entire idea of serving alcohol and sending people back out into society is just silly really.

Perhaps if people were forced and encouraged to drink at home, there might be less trouble. At least then they don't have to get back home and they aren't out roaming around intoxicated so much. Sure they could leave their house but most people get pretty lazy and sleepy when they're drunk so it seems..unlikely.

Or maybe businesses could start limiting what they serve. Most places don't cut you off until you're already piss drunk and it's too late by then. There should be a 2 drink maximum.
I think 21 is a good age to be legal, becausethat's the age you get your life together and start acting like an adult.

Well in the UK it's 18 drinking age and the age people start is about 14

To be honest in moderation I find this fine, that's when I first started drinking and 2 years later I see nothing wrong with getting drunk

Our 14 is like USA's 17 basically, 4 years before you're actually allowed to

I'd put the drinking age at 16 if it were up to me, I mean abroad in say Greece they've been giving me alcohol since I was about 12

I feel that is too young, so yeah I'd say 16

i really cant have an opinion on this because ive been drinking a very long time. my parents let me drink at 9. and ive been drinking ever since. they didnt really care what i did with my life.    i guess if the parent says its ok maybe at 16, for dinners and stuff like that. and they should only be in their house so they can be monitored.   im 23 and i need to be watched when i drink. lol

The drinking age should stay at 21!!!! When you are younger than 17-20 You are pretty much "new to the world." Ages 17-15 you are getting ready to go out into the "new world." So if people 21 and above kill people everyday because of drinking and driving, what would it be like to give teenagers (who have just learned to drive) alcohol, plus that fact that texting while driving is has a greater percentage than under the influence drivers(don't believe me look it up!!!) and the age group I said before 15 and above text and drive the most. So no, the drinking age should not be lower we would just have accidents everyday.

GETTING DRUNK CAN KILL YOU!!! and it doesnt matter where you live, if you are too young to drink and its a known fact that under-age drinking is illegal you will be arrested. Ive seen it happen more than once in school, on the street, next door, etc. If you get caught you will be arrested. Even with the consent of your parent.http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276178,00.html

drinking is fine, in the USA i think it is the perfect age. 18 yrs would be good too, but honestly as long as your not a binge drinker then its fine, alcohol is probs the best thing to be doing underaged cause it is WAYYYY less harmful than smoking pot or ciggs, or heroin, or lsd, or cocaine

That isn't true starting to drink alcohol at a young age can help contribute to the damage alcohol does to your liver. My grandmother passed away because of drinking too much and I dont think she was binge drinking( i dont know what that is btw...i dont drink. Is like binge eating where you eat a lot and then throw it back up again?). Alcohol can damage your liver and if you get behind the wheel or even while you cross the street because youre out of it, you can end up getting seriously hurt or even dying. And you can still get addicted to alcohol like my gradmother like you can with herion, so it is as harmful as doing drugs.

Under the age of 100. If you are close to dying drink away...

J.K. 

I'd say any age under 20.

scuzz:How young is too young to drink alcohol, in your opinion? 25 lol yea that's around the age your brain stops developing so if you drink before that the effects on your brain can be bad.

If I ran this country (USA) I'd bump it down to at least 18. I know that seems to go against my logic but I don't care. Though I can also see 18 or with consent of parent if you are younger though in my opinion you shouldn't really getting drunk before at least 18. ?I didn't first start drinking till I was 20. Which is illegal here but I rarely do it any how because alchohol tastes gross and getting drunk and all the other bad effects are scary.?

The drinking age here in the United Kingdom is 18.

To be honest it doesnt matter what the law says- if someone drinks they will get their friend into it, who will get there 3 friends next thing you know there is a group of them and if you want to drink alchol isnt that hard to get your hands on nowdays.?
?

depends on what to drink, i think that 14-16 too young to drink vodka

@Murtlap yes, is easy to drink to much vodka. some years ago i fell off from a truck travelling to a party after drink half of a bottle too quick
But i think 21 is too old for legal age to drink.?

It doesn't matter what the legal age is or whether alcohol is legal or not because people will find a way to get it.....

Thus, I'd say keep it where it is and hope parents and others can discuss the dangers of alcohol in a constructive manner and the child will be more aware and responsible.

too young for heavy alcohol like vodka 12-16 y.o.

Reply to Thread