I'm becoming a babysitter. How much should I charge?

So I've never babysat before and this will be my first job. I am 18. I am getting certified in first aid, CPR, and babysitting this week. Once I receive my certficates, I'm going to to start advertising and will basically start whenever someone hires me.

I'm trying to decide how much I should charge. I think the average babysitter makes about $11 an hour around here, but I'm new and inexperienced, so I think I should charge less until I get a few months experience in there. However, I dalso don't want to be practically free because I'm trying to save enough money to move out in 6 months (but I'll also have a roomate). I don't really have any money right now, so I'll need to save up like mad.

I'm thinking of maybe charging more if I babysit 3 kids than say 1 or 2 kids, and then maybe charging even more if there is 5+ kids. For example, maybe $6 an hour for 1 or 2 kids, $7 an hour for 3 or 4 kids, and $9 an hour for 5 or more kids. I don't know if that will be the amount, but it is just an example.

I'm also not sure if I should charge more if the parents are late. I'm also thinking of maybe charing more if I babysit past midnight.

What are your thoughts? How much should I charge? How much would you be willing to pay a babysitter that has never babysat, but is certified in first aid, CPR, and babysitting?

How about you maybe start at $9 an hour??

Wow! That's a nice job. Although, I don't know, how much you could charge for it.?

Reply to Thread