will people judge me in high school?
I'm going into 9th grade this year and the public high school I'll be attending is huge, like 3 floors and 2000 people. I'm excited but at the same time nervous...the older kids have been threatning some of us incoming freshman (not me), saying that we better watch what we do or else we'll get beat up. A lot of the older kids think we're annoying and slutty, but I'm not. I just dont want people to judge me because I'm a freshman. I'm going to try out for the junior varsity cheerleading team, so will people judge me for that?? I dont drink or smoke or have sex or scream in the hallways or anything like that, so hopefully people wont think I'm annoying. I also wear eyeliner and mascara, but do you think people will think I'm slutty/trying too hard for that? I also usually wear tank tops and jeans and hoodies, do people usually wear this kind of stuff? I'm sorry, I'm just really nervous and I dont want people to judge me lol. Do you have any other tips for going into high school?
high school is way less clique-y than middle school.the way you dress- no one cares. the way you do your makeup? no one cares.and upperclassmen say that crap all the time. i'm about to be a senior and i say that to my sister (who's in your boat) and every other freshman i know... that they'll get their asses kicked.they won't.and that's basically how the incoming freshmen here are seen... annoying sluts.but people won't go out of their way to make your life hell. they'll ignore you because what's the point of starting dumb drama. i mean, there's always drama, but you should take a big breath and relax because it's DEFINITELY not as big of a deal as you think it is.
Don't let people tell you wrong, high school is just as judgmental as middle school.I'm a Senior, and I can tell you, no upperclassman will harm you. Its all a threat to try to scare the crap out of freshman. Nope, just because you wear make up doesn't mean you'd be viewed as a slut or that you're trying too hard. High school is a once in a lifetime, 4-year experience.
Yep. No matter where you go in life there will be atleast one person who will judge you. The trick is learning not to care, as long as you're not hurting yourself or anyone else.
So i'm gonna be a senior yay! But don't worry about it too much. Honestly, i go to a school with 3000 people in it. It's huge and crazy. But, no one cares to tell you the truth. Yeah, upperclassmen say stuff just to scare freshman, thats how it works. Its happened to us already so now it your turn. As for cliques thats how it is in my high school. lots of cliques. But just be chill, don't be loud and annoying. thats how people can tell your a freshman. don't run around the school on your first day. Don't be so nervous either. People judge everyone no matter what grade your in. When i started high school, everyone thought i was a junior already because i didn't act like a TYPICAL freshman. Make friends with upperclassmen and you'll be good.
I dont drink or smoke or have sex or scream in the hallways or anything like that, so hopefully people wont think I'm annoying. Well thats good that you dont do those things.  think people will think I'm slutty/trying too hard for that? I don't think anyone is going to care if you wear makeup or not.    I also usually wear tank tops and jeans and hoodies, do people usually wear this kind of stuff? Yes. People are always going to judge you, whether you're in school, in public., at work, everywhere you go. You just have to have confidence in yourself and not let what others think about you bother you.   Do you have any other tips for going into high school?+ Don't be afraid to ask questions+ Join a club/sport+ Don't let people pressure you into doing things you don't want to do+ Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself+ BE YOU+ Get to know your teachers+ Try your best+ Go to school events+ Stay away from drama & aways remember: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
I'm going to be in 9th grade too. I had the same worries, but my two older cousins (they're going to be juniors) told me that in high school, people usually don't pay much attention to everyone else in such a big school (my new school is HUGE). And all the crap about seniors beating on freshman is a lie too--both my cousins and an older friend of mine told me the seniors hardly ever acknowledge the freshman. I used to be, and still am, nervous about high school as well, but I've gotten a lot of advice and reassurance from people I know and girls on here. :)
nobody beats up freshman. I remember hearing about that at my school too. its just a story people tell to scare you. when I was a freshman, the first people I became friends with were juniors and seniors. I hung out with the punk/rebel/misfit freak kids, because they were the first to welcome me. and they became very good friends to me. they were really nice. also, I became friends with a group of sophomores. we all went to homecoming together in the fall.
High school is really easy. What will happen is that you'll find friends and hang out with them. You will have a bunch of boring ass homework. People will know you are a freshman most likely, but they don't do anything. Wear whatever you like because as long as your happy high school will be fun. The only thing I warn you, don't date senior guys. Some of them think that freshman are slutty. But otherwise have fun and don't be nervous :D
People are going to judge you no matter what hun so i would just be myself like do you and dont care what others said. Everyone always hates freshman because there annoying n young [they hated me two yrs. ago its normal] and ppl will always have there own style. Highschool is pretty much overrated and shouldnt be taken to serious [only when it comes to your grades]. You'll get through it and it will fly by. GOOD LUCK freshy!
I just graduated so I know how it is to be the freshmen and part of the people who "dislike" the freshmen. It's really not as bad as it seems. People will always judge you, so don't worry about that. I'll be honest and say the first two years of hs were a TERRIBLE experience. But I changed schools and it worked out. The people talking bad about the freshmen are just talking because they can. I used to say I couldn't stand the freshmen. And to be honest, some of them were really annoying. But I was one too. It's just a part of high school. Don't worry about anyone beating you up for being one. If someone is making you feel unsafe please make sure you tell someone. Don't worry about how people will think about you. Don't ever let anyone make you afraid to go to school.
My school has a population of 800 people! Very small, so when we see fresh faces we know who the freshmen are! And to be honest...No one cares! :P There is teasing about beating them up, it NEVER happens. As for people judging you, yeah, it might happen, it probably will. But everyone judges people, it's just human nature. Trick is to just stay around your friends and try to tour the school before you go to your classes that way you'll know where everything is! Good luck, you'll love high school. It FLIES by.
Heyy I'm going into 9th grade too and I'm also going to a large school :) I understand just what you're going through with the whole 'judgmental' and 'upperclassmen' thing. Well I'm in marching band, so I'm in with people of all grades and strong personalities. Nobody seems to know it of band people, but we're not all like giant geeks who only care about school. The majority of us are actually just lovers of life and know how to have an awesome time! Band camp started two days ago and everyone is really accepting. Like, they all are super duper nice! Yes, of course, they always make jokes about freshman or whatever, but it doesn't bother me. I know I'm a freshman, I know it's basically a tradition to make fun of freshman, so why should I care?! I laugh along with them! I wouldn't worry so much about being judged by other people. Don't you remember going into 6th grade? I'm guessing it'll be just like that, except we're all older. And we're all just beginning to realize who we really are.  I'm not afraid to be myself. I love myself actually, just not in an ego trip sort of way ;D The more you are yourself, the more people will like you. At least that's what I've found. If you try to be someone else, you'll end up with friends who really don't know who you are. And that's gotta be the worst feeling. I love being around my friends, because we all understand each other. We laugh and joke around all the time, and when I'm with them I feel like I'm on top of the WORLD. And don't be afraid to express yourself through your clothing! I would not suggest wearing like neon bright clothing and a hairband with a platypus on it the first day of school or something, but don't pretend to be someone your not just to be accepted. Personally, I love having my own style. Quirky, but fun. You know? It makes shopping for clothes so much more fun when you know exactly what kind of look you're going for. I hope I helped you! Respond back if you want, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!
actually that's not entirely true. Each high school is different. My high school had a ton of cliques and the people there DID care how others dressed. I was made fun of because I didn't dress all preppy and cute and the fact that I shopped at Hot Topic was also a factor. Everyone judges others even if they don't notice it.
i wasn't speaking for ALL high schools EVERYWHERE. it might not be entirely true for your school, because i've obviously never attended, but it is entirely true for mine. it was entirely true for my brother's. and for several other friends i have who attend different schools than i do. of course people here judge but no one cares enough what some other kid is wearing to start drama about it (if that's what you mean by "if they don't notice it"). but as i said, there's always drama.um i'm sorry people made fun of your clothes at school...
Girl, people are going to judge you no matter what you do your whole life; just be you.Usually the only people that pick on freshman were the freshman that got picked on, so they have a complex or something... =PJust go & be you. Hell, give them something to talk about! & honestly, as long as they hit you first, they're free game. ;)Good luck.
i hate to say it, but probably. people can be super mean for absolutely no effin reason! i used to get picked on because my face would turn red when i was embarrassed. seriously, something that stupid. i got over it, but now my little brother gets teased. if you ever get bullied, there's things you can do to stop it! no one deserves to be judged!<333
ppl judge alot less in high school than they did in middle school lol.
Well, I consider myself pretty lucky. I go to a super small highschool so we don't have cliques or anything here. I've never been picked on personally. From my experiences, I think you'll be fine. Unless you like to stir up trouble, you probably won't get picked on. And remember, highschool can seem hard. When your in highschool, your whole life is highschool. Trust me, I would know. I'm in highschool ;) Make a secure group of friends. You may already have it but I've had to drop a couple friends over the years for various reasons. You need a good support group. Don't procrastinate! I do and it's horrible! Also, it's just highschool. If someone calls you a name or trys to bring you down, they are insecure. Brush them off. It may hurt, but you'll get over it. Most of all, have some fun. It's only highschool.
no matter what your whole life there will ALWAYS be people who are gonna judge you. So yes there will be. But you need to no matter what happens stand your ground. Dont ever change because people want you too.
And who cares what people think. If you wanna wear a crap ton of makeup DO IT if you wanna wear your tank tops and jeans and hoodies DO IT. And if they call you a slut so what you know what YOU are and you know who YOU are so who cares what people you dont know think. Just try to ignore it. I got through my freshmen year just fine. But i also went to a private catholic school and Im also very quiet and distant alot of the time so no one really bothered me.
hakunamatata said...high school is way less clique-y than middle school. I completely agree. Middle school was hell for me. But high school is a lot better. Kids are just more immature in middle school
I just started high school this year. I sounded EXACTLY like how you sound right now. I tried out for my schools dance team, and I tried out for cheerleading. I didnt make it on the dance team, and I couldnt do cheerleading because of an injury to my lower spine. What you have to realize is: You are YOU. You can try to change, but you'll always be YOU. You're always going to be judged. You can be the sweetest, nicest person, and someone out there will find something bad to say about you. So don't give a crap. enjoy your life and who you are. Enjoy high school. Its going to fly by. I'm a freshman. You know what? someone gave me this exact advice before i started high school a few months ago. I couldnt really get what she was saying. In a world like this- who wants to be yourself? you HAVE to fit in, right? Or else you'll have a horrible life. But in reality, sweetie, everyone else is already taken. You wont really understand until that first day. You want be comfortable being in no one else's shoes but your own!! :)

Don't let people tell you wrong, high school is just as judgmental as middle school

Reply to Thread