Help! Controlling Mom

So recently I have a friend that is a guy that wants to hang out, and I am willing to do so. I am usually at home all the time just on the internet, so I feel that this would be good for me. I brought this up to my mom and at first she gave me a flat out no with no reasoning at all. This time I wrote her a small paragraph with promises I would follow and that the guy is not a bad person. When talking to me about it, she told me that, "girls and guys can't be friends", "all guys are the same", that "all guys want you for is one thing: sex", and that "guys will tell you what you want to hear so they can get you to have sex with them." I told her that I am tired of that stigma that leads her to believe all of this. I also told her that the guy has NO problem meeting her, but yet she replied with, "just because I meet him, doesn't mean I know him." She is not putting in ANY effort to meet him at all. She also told me that she doesn't want me to have sex because that will lead to pregancy. I feel that she should not be controlling about my personal life like this. The guy is great, he has no intentions of hurting me at all.

I guess I should also mention the fact that I am 18 and in college. Help would be greatly appreciated, as I feel like I am all out of options to convince her that this person is NOT BAD.

undefined:
undefined

Well to be honest, you shouldn't allow your Mother to control your personal life. The way that i look at it is that you are an adult now, you are entitled to do what you wish now within reason. If you believe that this guy is not talking to you with bad intentions then there is nothing stopping you.

I know it could be hard to go aganist what she says but do it. I feel it could get at some point of control until you are well over 18. Maybe not tell her,just do it. Or dont have him there,go where he is,etc. Live your life, youre 18.

undefined:
undefined

Yeah, I agree

Reply to Thread