what religion were you raised in, if any, and what religion are you currently?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I was raised as a Baptist but I lean towards a non-denominational Christian point of view when it comes to most things

I was raised a Christian.

I now have no religion (atheist).

That's interesting! I have never heard of Asatru. Would you mind educating me?

What influenced your decistion to turn away from God?

poetry_luva@yahoo.com wrote:

That's interesting! I have never heard of Asatru. Would you mind educating me?

Who are you talking to? You should use the quote function when you're replying to specific people. Otherwise we have no idea who you're talking to.

@poetry_luva

My compassion for other people inspired my departure from the Christian religion. I just started thinking about hell one day out of the blue. I did not like the idea of unsaved people going through eternal torment, even though they were good people. It is what planted a seed of doubt that made me look for more information. Before I left the faith, I did a lot of study, both of Christianity, other religions, and atheism. In the end, the Bible showed too much contradiction within its pages, too much contradiction with real history, and too much contradiction with my own sense of morality. I would have to write a book to tell you everything that influenced my deconversion because there are so many reasons. :) It wasn't a split-second decision; it was a process that took several months.

But it started with the question of hell, and it has ended with enough knowledge that I don't think I could ever make myself believe again, not if I had all the faith in the world. But I wouldn't want to anyways. :) I'm happy now.

I was raised Southern Baptist, and i am now a proud catholic (I converted last year, on my own)

:)

I was raised Roman Catholic, baptized, went to catholic school, the whole 9 yards. Now I think I'm more of an athiest.

I was raised in the Catholic Church. I was baptized as a baby, attended CCE classes, had my First Communion and Confession (or Reconciliation as it's called now) and now just need to be Confirmed. I wandered to Judaism and Islam for awhile but always came back to Catholicism.

I don't know why it is, but I have met and read about many people that were raised Catholic but when reached the age of maturity and independence they realized they were athiests. I myself was raised Catholic as well. Through out the years I have had doubts about the religion, but never to the point where I didn't believe in God any longer. I have many friends that are athiest, catholic, christian, etc. It's interesting to hear from them about why they stuck with their religion, why they stopped believing in a higher power, or why they changed to a new religion. I still say that I am a catholic, but I don't attend mass every Sunday and I still have so many questions about the religion.

Was raised with no religion but am very interested in Christianity and would like to convert once I turn 18.

Asherah wrote:

@poetry_luva

My compassion for other people inspired my departure from the Christian religion. I just started thinking about hell one day out of the blue. I did not like the idea of unsaved people going through eternal torment, even though they were good people. It is what planted a seed of doubt that made me look for more information. Before I left the faith, I did a lot of study, both of Christianity, other religions, and atheism. In the end, the Bible showed too much contradiction within its pages, too much contradiction with real history, and too much contradiction with my own sense of morality. I would have to write a book to tell you everything that influenced my deconversion because there are so many reasons. :) It wasn't a split-second decision; it was a process that took several months.

But it started with the question of hell, and it has ended with enough knowledge that I don't think I could ever make myself believe again, not if I had all the faith in the world. But I wouldn't want to anyways. :) I'm happy now.

God gave every human being free will; however, us Christians have no choice. And I can understand how nobody likes the idea of anyone going to hell, but God gave everyone of us a job to do and that's to go out and make 'fishers of men' (Matthew 4:19 NIV). What that means is to go out into the highways and byways [school, work, gym, etc] and make new disciples of Christ. Our job is to reel them in, it's his job to clean them out! One of the possible reasons good people end up in eternal damnation is because they didn't follow Christ COMPLETELY, God wants ALL of you, not just you going to church and praising him, he wants you to THINK the way he would, to LIVE the way he would and to treat others with respect, even if you don't like them. So, my best answer to that statement is that on their end of the stick, they aren't holding up, yes Christianity is a lot of responsibility and requires a lot of self-control, but in the end we'll all be with Jesus!  

Alana wrote:

Was raised with no religion but am very interested in Christianity and would like to convert once I turn 18.

Why wait? 

My mother was a catholic, but when she married my dad, i guess she decided to change to an anglican (Half my life I was raised in Africa, so I'm still not sure if other places like the U.S. use categories like "Anglican"). We go to a penticostal church, so I'm just going to say that I'm a penticostal christian.

When I Was Young I Had Terrible Nightmares About Demons Attacking Me, Every Morning I Would Be Exhausted, It Got So.Bad I Had To End Up Telling My Mom (I Couldn't Concentrate In Class & I Was Getting Really Sick), My Mom Put A Bible Under My Pillow & Taught Me A Night Time Prayer, I Was 5 Years Old & I Still Remember How Peaceful I've Been From That Point On. I Went To Church By Myself & Was Baptized Into A Baptist Church When I Was 7. I Stayed At That Church Until I Left For College In 2010. Denominations Don't Matter To Me, I Believe In The Bible & Every Page & Every Word Of It Because It Saved My Life & Protected Me. Well That's My Long Drawn Out Answer To The Subject Lol

I was born and baptized a Christian but my family didn't really practice the faith until I was 15 and my parents got divorced.  My mom suddenly wanted to go to church every Sunday morning and pray at meals.  I was weirded out to say the least but I tried it out.  I liked my middle school classes but I didn't really click with it.  It didn't help that the kids in my age group kept tellng me that I was going to hell for not having gone to church my entire life.  When I got moved to the adult service I realised that it wasn't really for me.

I did some soul searching (and some reasearch) and found that Wicca was right for me.  I can't practice openly at this point  but I feel like I've found peace. :)

I was raised as a Christian, went to baptist churches when I was little (a lot ofdifferent ones because my mom isn't baptist and never liked the churches, my dad is baptist) I believe in God, but sometimes I'm not really sure about the Bible.

I was raised Baptist and I still regularly attend Baptist services.

I was raised catholic. I am currently an atheist. 

What made you switch from Catholicism to Atheism?

Well, the fact that I don't believe in God mostly. haha

Personally, I don't consider it a "switch".  Although I was raised to be a catholic by an extremely religious family, I never held any of those beliefs myself. 

Raised atheist now agnostic. Plz check out my thread being agnostic sucks. Ty

I was not raised religious and so I was allowed to do my own spiritual exploring. 

I'm a Pagan and a witch.

I was raised catholic, but haven't considered myself to be any religion since I was probably 15 years old. I'm in college now, but whenever I'm home, my parents still make me go to Sunday mass.

I was raised in Christian churches (of a few denominations). I denied the Heavenly Father for most of my teen years, but I experienced a spiritual rebirth when I was a Freshman in college. I believe that I was just recently baptized by the Holy Spirit and I now consider myself a Baptist.
That's awesome! Btw that's a pretty picture.
Spiritually speaking where do you see yourself now. Or who do you see yourself becoming?

Who do YOU say that you are?

I was never rasied of anything however my mum is a Methodist and my dad is an atheist. I'm currently an atheist. 

My parents tried to raise me to be a Christian, but I'm Universalist.

That rocks!

I'm being raised as a christian. 

I was a Catholic Christian, but my family didn't go to church that often. Now I am an agnostic.

I live in the united states and I am baptist, though I don't go to church much now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread