Transgender bathroom, shower and locker room survey

A lot of attention has been made in the media lately about transgender persons using the shower, bathroom and locker room of the gender that they identify with instead of their physical sex. President Obama of the USA has written a letter to all public schools in the USA suggesting that public schools let transgender persons use showers, bathrooms and locker rooms of the sex that they identify with and not their physical sex. This has resulted in controversey on each side.

How do you feel? Please give an answer for A) schools and B) general.
For instance, 4A & 5B

1) Transgender people should be allowed to use these?facilities that match their psychological identity even without presenting as their psychological identity just in accord with their self declared identity.

2) Transgender people should be allowed to use these facilities that match their psychological identity even without presenting as their psychological identity but only if they have a gender disorder diagnosis.

3) Transgender people should be allowed to use these facilities that match their psychological identity only if they present as that identity (makeup, dress, hair, grooming) based upon their self declaration only.

4) Transgender people should be allowed to use these facilities that match their psychological identity only if they present as that identity (as listed item 3) AND with a gender disorder diagnosis.

5) Transgender people should be allowed to use these facilities that match their psychological identity only if they satisfy item 4 AND have had hormone therapy to change secondary sex characteristics (eg., breasts and curves for MTFs and?male facial hair typical of?normal males?for FTMs- shaving is acepted).

6) Transgender people should be allowed to use these facilities that match their psychological identity only if they have satisfied item 5 AND had genital reconstruction to acquire genitals of their desired sex.

7) Transgender people should be allowed to use only facilities that match their physical sex before changes regardless of their psychological identity.

I'm a transgender girl myself, so I might have a bias.

I think the seven propositions are too simplisitic for a complicated issue.

I think people should use the facilities of their gender identity if it is safe to do so. Usually that means that they need to appear as that gender to do so. For bathrooms I don't think genitialia is important as its not like anyone sees you do your business (hopefully), with showers and locker rooms I wouldn't say having matching genitalia is a necessity, but it would probably be better for transgender people since their bodies are often more exposed.

I don't really see gender dysphoria diagnosis as relevant, as well as difficult to enforce.

I think it should be up to the transgender individual - if they feel confident and think they'll be accepted in x bathroom then they should go for it.

For me I'm too scared of using female bathrooms for fear of not being accepted + possible harassment?

Reply to Thread