Briar Hospital

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

"Are you really okay?" Daphne asked. She was shocked at how much he'd been through.

Oliver shrugged, "I've got a bit of PTSD but yeah I'm fine," He lied with a half smile.?

"I think PTSD means you're not fine." She pointed out.

"No it just means I get nightmares sometimes," Oliver teased.?

"Are you doing anything about it?" Daphne asked him.

"I take medication for it, talk to a therapist from time to time," Oliver shrugged, as non chalant and upbeat as he was, his PTSD wasn't really something he liked to talk about, "But my main focus right now is getting me back on my feet."

"I'll help you get there." Daphne smiled. She liked him and she wanted to help him.

"Thanks, you're too kind," Oliver smiled at her with a light hearted chuckled.

"We're friends." Daphne shrugged. "I'm happy to help."

"You really don't have to worry about me, I'm fine," He said.

"I'll still help you learn sign language." Daphne told him.

"Good, because with that I'll need all the help I can get," Oliver chuckled.

"You'll pick it up. I'm a great teacher." She told him.

"You can have a seat if you want," Oliver said, pointing to the end of his bed.

"Thanks." Daphne said and sat on his bed. "Does your leg ever hurt?"

"Yeah, most of the time it feels like it's still there," Oliver told her, "it's so weird and surreal."

"I get it. I sometimes hear sounds in my sleep. Mostly my parents voices that I remember before I went deaf." Daphne said.

"Doesn't it scare you?" Oliver asked.

"Why would it scare me?" Daphne asked curiously.

"I don't know," Oliver shrugged, "I mostly feel my legs when I'm asleep and then wake up - it scares the shit out of me," He told her.

"Maybe it scares you because its so new. For a moment you think your leg is still there." Daphne said.

"Probably," Oliver shrugged, "But what can we do? There's no cure for phantom limb or phantom hearing."

"Just get through it I guess." Daphne shrugged. "Are you having anymore surgeries?"

"Nope, all done with those," He told her, "Thank God," He chuckled.

"My doctor thinks?I might get some hearing back with surgery." Daphne told him. "I'm still thinking about it."

"What about the cochlear implants? Is that an option for you?" He asked.

"Thats the surgery." Daphne said. "I had a massive skull fracture that shattered the bones in both of my ears which cut the nerves. Theres only a 30 percent chance the implants will work."

"30 percent is better than nothing right?" Oliver smiled.

"I don't know. If it doesn't work, it will be a disappointment. If it does work, it will be like moving to a new world." Daphne pointed out. "He said it can be overwhelming adjusting to all the different sounds."

"I'm sure, especially since you've haven't been hearing them for so long," Oliver said.

"I don't know what I should do yet." Daphne told him. "Surgery is riskier too because of?the TBI."

"Are you unhappy with being deaf?" Oliver asked her sincerely.

Daphne took a second to think about it. Being deaf was all she knew. "I don't know. I'm happy but some things are harder. People treat me differently. I don't know if I'd feel better or worse after the surgery."

"I completely understand about being treated differently," Oliver told her, "I think you'll be make the decision that's right for you when the time comes."

"Thanks." Daphne smiled softly. "How have people treated you?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread