What it's like to be in the psych ward for an eating disorder (my experience)

Hi guys. Some eating disorders are bad enough that you need to be an inpatient in the psych ward, or sometimes in day treatment. I hope none of your eating disorders are that bad! But just in case, I thought I would share what it's like to be in the psych ward. I was in there for trying to kill myself, but I also had an eating disorder at the time, and this is what they did:

OK, so first of all, psych wards are nothing to be scared of. I understand if the thought terrifies you, because that's only natural. They're not places you want to be, but people certainly exaggerate how bad they are. 

I posted my psych ward experience in quite a lot of forums (What's on your mind?, Depression support, mental illness support, suicide support, cutting and self multation, and shout out a story) so you can check it out. BUT - here's what to expect if you go there for an eating disorder.

First of all, they don't let you know your weight. They check your weight regularly to make sure you aren't losing weight and they get kind of upset with you if you try to look at the scale. You also have to drink some kind of drink (like boost or ensure) if you don't eat 100% of your meals. They also won't let you use the restroom for an hour after eating or drinking so you can't make yourself vomit. They also choose how much you have to eat, and you have to eat snacks. Other wise you have to drink something like boost or ensure. I know it sounds terrifying, having to gain weight. I imagine many of you will be turned off if you're going to be forced to gain weight. But I know you can do it. I believe in you. You're stronger than you think. I've had mine for 3 1/2 years and now I've fully recovered, perfectly OK with my BMI being 20.3. I would prefer it to be lower, but it doesn't ruin my life. 

Good luck with your recovery and stay strong! I know it's hard and I know there's a lot of stigma around it. The people at the hospital will help you a lot. So good luck if you need to go there.

Awwww, my experience in psych ward was basically identical, only I was in for a bipolar episode so I didn't need to avoid the bathroom. They didn't let me out until I stopped fasting...

For me psych ward is not a place to want to be in, but the staff and patients are caring

Reply to Thread