suspected trichotillomania?

I'm not sure if it even is trichotillomania, since it's not a regular thing, but every time i get angry, i just feel this 'surge of anger' and suddenly i've pulled out two small handfuls of hair, but even though they're small it seems like a lot of hair. Sometimes, it's like i've not even thought about it, I just do it, i've always had the urge when i'm angry, but because I never really stay angry for long, the urge kinda dissapears, so sometimes I can just ignore it.

Last year, I had the same problem, but eventually it stopped, but now that more exams are coming up, it's come back, and I'm not sure what to do or if it even can be counted as trichotillomania. I'd be happy to share some more about what's happening, but I want to know what you all think first.

Sounds like stress induced.

Stress can be reduced gradually over time (it takes a few months) by practicing Mindfulness Meditation, Yoga, Qi-Gong, Tai-Chi. (Also good to do in a group setting.)

Also going to a processing group. AA, NA, Al-Anon, Nar-Anon are all similar processing groups. I don't know of one specifically for just stress. Sometimes there's a Depression & Bipolar support group. Sometimes therapists have group sessions. Or just getting together with friends can help.

And then an individual therapist, counselor, anyone you can talk to once a week. Sometimes schools, colleges, universities, have departments to help students deal with stress.

Combining these things, it's possible to train the brain, develop new neronal pathways, and these surges of anger will subside.

(There's also anti-anxiety medication that can help short term.)

What can happen is when a person gets stressed, or angry, the prefrontal cortex of the brain literally shuts down. Less blood flows to that region, shutting it down, allowing the more primitive emotional midbrain to gain control. (In people with addiction problems this is how relapse happens. They literally can not rationally think themselves out of relapsing because the prefrontal cortex is where rational thought happens, and that part of the brain gets shut down by stress or anger.)

So we learn these stress reduction techniques, like meditation, which over time heals the brain, making it more resilient to stressful situations, allowing the prefrontal cortex to remain in control.

All you do is "return your focus to the present moment. And when your mind wanders, return your focus to the present moment." Try that for one minute. Then repeat several times a day. Eventually you'll be able to stretch that one minute to longer periods. Eventually it'll be easy and enjoyable to spend half an hour doing nothing but just observing the present moment.

Reply to Thread