Relapse

Long story short I relapsed self harming in July and got taken off the blood donor list til January where I am. I didn't disclose why there were scars on my arms to the nurses where I give blood dispite they always check arms and I am a regular donor.How do I get them to take me off the list and disclose why I had scars on my arms? Would a nurse have to disclose self harm to a metal place or something? By the way I live in Canada.

I think so. If they believe that you're a danger to yourself or others they may be legally required to report it.

If the nurse was knowledgeable about cutting she would have instantly recognized it and understood and been very sympathetic and kind and caring, and maybe would have suggested where you could go to get further help.

If she didn't recognize it then there's no use trying to explain it; the explaination would take a very long time.

I don't know about Canada. In U.S. they want to know if you're a drug addict, or a prostitute. They're looking for drug addict track marks on your arm. I'll guess they'll accept you when you're no longer depressed, which is far more important take care of yourself, see a doctor, the depression is treatable with medication you'll feel much better once you find the right medication that works for you.

Lucky you're in Canada. I understand healthcare is free. See any psychiatrist doctor, show him your arms, he'll instantly understand. You're not the only one. He's seen it many times before. He'll prescribe an antidepresant mediacation and have you come back to see him every 2 weeks. The first antidepressant probably won't work, so he'll try switching you to a different antidepressant medication. You may have to try several different antidepressant medications before finding one that works for you. It's really great though when you come across the medication that works for you, you'll slowly feel less and less depressed, and eventually the idea of cutting yourself will no longer enter your mind; and if you do think of it, it will sound like, "Why the hell would I want to do that? That would hurt!" 

The hardest thing is believing there are people out there who will actually understand. Not everyone does, but you find the people who do understand, and then you're no longer alone. The people who understand are patients and the doctors who treat them. 

Have you tried "ice meditation"? You use cold ice instead of razor blades. You focus on the ice, and the feeling of the ice on your skin. It's the focusing your mind on the present moment, and focusing on the sensation helps keep you focused on the present moment. In theory it should work. I haven't talked with anyone who's tried it. It's a form of Mindfulness Meditation. It can help with depression. It tends to help a lot more once you find the right medication.

Hope you feel better. 

del677:If the nurse was knowledgeable about cutting she would have instantly recognized it and understood and been very sympathetic and kind and caring, and maybe would have suggested where you could go to get further help.If she didn't recognize it then there's no use trying to explain it; the explaination would take a very long time.I don't know about Canada. In U.S. they want to know if you're a drug addict, or a prostitute. They're looking for drug addict track marks on your arm. I'll guess they'll accept you when you're no longer depressed, which is far more important take care of yourself, see a doctor, the depression is treatable with medication you'll feel much better once you find the right medication that works for you.Lucky you're in Canada. I understand healthcare is free. See any psychiatrist doctor, show him your arms, he'll instantly understand. You're not the only one. He's seen it many times before. He'll prescribe an antidepresant mediacation and have you come back to see him every 2 weeks. The first antidepressant probably won't work, so he'll try switching you to a different antidepressant medication. You may have to try several different antidepressant medications before finding one that works for you. It's really great though when you come across the medication that works for you, you'll slowly feel less and less depressed, and eventually the idea of cutting yourself will no longer enter your mind; and if you do think of it, it will sound like, "Why the hell would I want to do that? That would hurt!" The hardest thing is believing there are people out there who will actually understand. Not everyone does, but you find the people who do understand, and then you're no longer alone. The people who understand are patients and the doctors who treat them. Have you tried "ice meditation"? You use cold ice instead of razor blades. You focus on the ice, and the feeling of the ice on your skin. It's the focusing your mind on the present moment, and focusing on the sensation helps keep you focused on the present moment. In theory it should work. I haven't talked with anyone who's tried it. It's a form of Mindfulness Meditation. It can help with depression. It tends to help a lot more once you find the right medication.Hope you feel better.  

Sorry for the late post but I'm trying to either get taken off the list or look for an exuse of why I had been taken off when I go back.

Oh the embarassment of "Yea I was taken off the list because I was a drug addicted prosititute..." or for me it's often "My iron level was too low" so I take iron supplements.

Or just don't go back to donate blood.

So if I understand correctly, the embarrassment is you were taken off the list because of the scars on your arms? 

I think depression is so common that one in 10 people would actually understand. You know what, next time I go donate blood I'll just ask them that question. I'll let you know what they say.

Reply to Thread