Hormone Imbalance

Hello. So Im 17 years old, I turn 18 in 1 week and Ive reached the peek of my relationship with my boyfriend and Im at that point where Im set to graduate and youd think Id be super happy about all this, right? Well, three months ago I found out I have a blood clotting disorder and I am no longer able to take the birth control that Ive been taking for 2 years. Once I stopped taking it I formed 21 cysts on my ovaries and went 3 months without a period. Here recently they told me I have a hormone imbalance, which is expected. Now its gotten so bad that I just sit in my room and cry and cry and cry. My boyfriends in the military and it kills him that every time he calls Im crying. I physically cant be happy anymore and its the worst feeling ever! Do you guys think thats probably from the hormone imbalance? My doctor says it is and that I just have to wait till they balance out but it seems like there should be more they could do for me :/ I just need opinions and advice I guess. Thanks guys <3 

k.ash41 wrote:

Hello. So Im 17 years old, I turn 18 in 1 week and Ive reached the peek of my relationship with my boyfriend and Im at that point where Im set to graduate and youd think Id be super happy about all this, right? Well, three months ago I found out I have a blood clotting disorder and I am no longer able to take the birth control that Ive been taking for 2 years. Once I stopped taking it I formed 21 cysts on my ovaries and went 3 months without a period. Here recently they told me I have a hormone imbalance, which is expected. Now its gotten so bad that I just sit in my room and cry and cry and cry. My boyfriends in the military and it kills him that every time he calls Im crying. I physically cant be happy anymore and its the worst feeling ever! Do you guys think thats probably from the hormone imbalance? My doctor says it is and that I just have to wait till they balance out but it seems like there should be more they could do for me :/ I just need opinions and advice I guess. Thanks guys <3 

Here's the problem--

Your hormone imbalance is almost certainly PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome); that's why you developed so many cysts after stopping the birth control pills. Practically the best treatment for PCOS is birth control pills because it prevents ovulation, therefore preventing the cysts. The complication is that you have this clotting disorder, which means that you can't take the birth control pills because it puts you at such a high risk for developing a clot...which could kill you. 

I think you should get a second opinion; seek treatment from a GYN and probably an endocrinologist as well. If you need a referral to either, go to your primary care doctor (internal or family medicine is a great place to start if you don't have one). A second opinion is ALWAYS recommended.

Reply to Thread