Boyfriend is an addict

Hi guys, I just want to know if drug rehab  are really effective. My boyfriend is a drug addict planning to recover his life. We both agreed that he should try drug rehab facilities. I really want to know if rehabs are effective for recovery.

I only know of one drug rehab place that a friend went through. Since it wasn't me and I've never even been there I'm not fully clear on what they did there.

What really helps is understanding that to overcome drug addiction you need to strengthen the rational part of your brain that knows drugs are not good for you and wants to stop using them. The secret is "activating a thought strengthens the thought." So if you just think or say to yourself the thought that you want to stop using drugs and stay clean, it's like strengthening a muscle. Keep exercising that muscle and eventually it will become strong. Keep exercising that thought it will eventually become stronger and able to overpower the primitive emotional desire for drugs that just feel good (even though after awhile I've been told they don't work as well, so you never really get to feeling as good as they once did, which can lead to using more and dying from overdose).

The other thing that helps is processing groups, where you meet with other people who accept you as you are, usually other recovering addicts since they all have been there and they will all accept one another and even the ones who have been clean for a long time become the ones who help encourage the other new people. Processing groups like AA, NA, I don't know why they work, but it just feels good to be around people who accept you, to interact with them in a structured safe environment where you can say whatever is on your mind, whatever is bothering you (if anything), and them just listening helps a whole lot. It's like processing groups don't fix problems, instead they make it OK to have problems. And that's really what the real problem is. The problem isn't what's wrong with your life, the real problem is your emotional reaction to everything that's wrong with your life. Something magic about being able to tell people what's wrong with your life and be heard. It somehow makes it OK to have the problem, which is really the first step in fixing the problem.

Also alliviate the guilt. People turn to drugs because they have a crappy life. Then they end up hooked on drugs. It's not really their fault. It's more the environment they lived in. A crappy environment, and drugs happened to be available.

Admitting that most of life we really have no power over our environment is a scary thought. We like to think we are in control. Admitting that we are not in control is a scary thought. Dive into that fear and you'll find freedom. Freedom from guilt at least. If it really was caused by so much of your environment beyond your control then you really aren't to blame. So it's scary, but then you realize it actually feels good to accept that fear because it frees you from guilt.

And I think that's what the first of the 12 steps are. Admitting that you really are powerless and that it really is beyond your control. (Addicts tend to think they're not addicts because they feel they could control it if they wanted to. Admitting that you have a problem is really a huge big first step.)

So it really depends on the individual recovery program and the individual people working there. If they structure it like a school that teaches you drugs are bad then it's going to have a very poor success rate. If they do a lot of processing groups then it will have a much better success rate. Plus they need to continue these processing groups afterwards as out patient therapy continues.

And the addict himself needs to strengthen their desire to stay clean by activating that thought throughout the day, like breakfast, lunch, dinner, waking up, retiring to bed. Just keep thinking that thought over and over so it becomes stronger and stronger.

(Oh and my friend has been clean since January so it really is possible to recover from drug addiction.) Best wishes!

They're highly effective when you commit to them. That's the key, though. You have to WANT to stop being an addict. You can stay inpatient and go through withdrawal and your body will stop being addicted. However, I've seen a ton of addicts who were mandated to go through rehab and then, because it wasn't their choice, they barely get one foot out the door before they're heading out to score.

If your boyfriend is making this decision for himself, he stands a good chance at it actually being effective. He has to really want it. It's not easy and it's not pleasant. However, it is absolutely worth it.

I'm sober for 3 years with the help of Care Treatment Addiction Rehab. Recovery is not easy, but it is possible. Rehabs can guide you overcome your addiction and through therapy you'll learn techniques on keeping a sober lifestyle. They will be effective if you cooperate and take your treatment seriously. 

Reply to Thread