Maladaptive Daydreaming

*****(Mention of alcoholism)
I found out recently that I have Maladaptive Daydreaming (also called Compulsive Fantasizing). A lot of people just ignore me when I try to tell them about it saying "Everyone daydreams." That's not true. It's gotten to the point where I have to go to therapy, and my mom insisted on getting blood work done. So, please understand that this is not a "hobby." This is a compulsion. As a lot of us MDers say, it's like being an alcoholic with an endless supply of booze any time, anywhere. 

The worst part about it is knowing you can't just get rid of your mind. Other addictions, you get rid of the addictions, but with daydreaming it's still there. If you think you may be a maladaptive daydreamer, you can always send me a message. Also, there is a website where they have forums for support for people like us just click here to get to it. Thank you for reading this.

Wow thank you for explaining that. I haven't heard of that one before.

My first thought was wondering if meditation could help. Then I see the website does mention meditation and yoga too.

I wonder if there are any medications that help?

With meditation you can start small, like try one minute, and see if you can work your way up to 10 minutes. That may actually be quite a long time to go without daydreaming. Usually I suggest take a class in meditation, but daydreaming might hinder that. There are some books, but basically the idea is to focus your attention on the present moment, on the here and now, and when your mind wanders, see if you can catch it and bring it back to the present moment. Takes some practise. I guess the test will be to see if you can catch yourself during meditation when you start to daydream and bring your focus back to the present moment. (You can start daydreaming again after the 1 minute, or 10 minutes. Nothing you have to think about now that can't wait 10 minutes.)

Best wishes with that.

del677,
Thank you for your advice. I'll be sure to look into meditation.
Also, I'd like to point out if you ever meet another maladaptive daydreamer, don't ever recommend things to help them out with their daydreams. Some are perfectly happy with their daydreams. I'm not so I am ever so thankful for your input, I was just letting you know so you don't offend anyone. ♥

:)

I go through the same thing. I always thought it was a form of a particular personality disorder (obsessive day-dreaming is one of the main symptoms).

But yeah, I completely get it. The whole "everyone day-dreams" thing is also ridiculous. Sure, everyone day-dreams, but there is a fine line between normal, occasional day-dreaming and where it gets to the point where it is clearly unhealthy and you are living inside your head rather than outside of it with everyone else, which is exactly what I do.

Reply to Thread