Does this count as a mental illness?

Would having too high expectations on yourself count as a mental illness?

Since, whenever I get upset, I try to bottle it up, in fear I'd lose it and hurt someone like I did in the past consistently, only for me to explode again...

I also worry on what others would think of me.. Like is it really good to feel this way?

I need answers!

It's definitely something, though I can't say exactly what.
It's very promising that you recognize it and wish to pursue this. Recognizing that something ain't right is half the battle. So many do not make it that far.

A doctor and psycholgist combo should be able to figure it out, if it's a medical or a mind thing.

Having high expectations is a good symptom to notice. The psychological approach would be to explore where these high expectations come from, what fears are feeding them.

Bottling up feelings when upset is a common reaction. Not necessarily the best though. Learning to become more familiar with one's own inner reactions may be helpful. Sit quietly and just listen and observe. Scan your body,? observe your mind, note what you think, then let it go and observe the room. Become more aware. It's a mind exercise.

Do you have a short fuse? As in easily irritable? Mindfulness Meditation can help with that. Retrain the brain to relax more, slowly shift it away from stress and towards a more calm, peaceful, alert, aware, tollerance for annoynaces builds up.

These are all good things to talk about and contemplate!

del677:It's definitely something, though I can't say exactly what.
It's very promising that you recognize it and wish to pursue this. Recognizing that something ain't right is half the battle. So many do not make it that far.A doctor and psycholgist combo should be able to figure it out, if it's a medical or a mind thing.Having high expectations is a good symptom to notice. The psychological approach would be to explore where these high expectations come from, what fears are feeding them.Bottling up feelings when upset is a common reaction. Not necessarily the best though. Learning to become more familiar with one's own inner reactions may be helpful. Sit quietly and just listen and observe. Scan your body,? observe your mind, note what you think, then let it go and observe the room. Become more aware. It's a mind exercise.Do you have a short fuse? As in easily irritable? Mindfulness Meditation can help with that. Retrain the brain to relax more, slowly shift it away from stress and towards a more calm, peaceful, alert, aware, tollerance for annoynaces builds up.These are all good things to talk about and contemplate!

Actually what it is more is I'm essentially a perfectionist... And people like my girl, Lisa, expect things from me... I mean, I have a reputation to uphold, and I don't wanna ruin it by acting out of control.... I'm not easily irritable, but the 2 things that bug me the most are stupidity and bullies; however I can handle them relatively well. I want to go to college and get a PHD, but my parents doubt me all the time since I used to be very agressive and unsafe when I was younger, and on the rarest occasions, now... Sometimes I feel worthless if I don't impress EVERYONE worth impressing....

Interesting. I'm contemplating which of the four personality types might be the one you identify with.?

Aspiring for a PHD might suggest the Rational Knowledge Seeker, who aspires to be competent (happens to be me). Unless the PHD is just a means towards some other goal.

Guarding reputation suggests the Guardian personality type.

Aspiring to create art and have fun suggests the Artisan personality type. Also being unsafe, as they love taking risks.

Ah, that's the question I should ask: you mention wanting to impress people. What type of impresing, I mean, impress them by doing or being what??
1. Competent?
2. Performance?
3. Dependable?
4. Benevolent?
(Those correspond to the 4 personality types. Each personality type bases ththeir self-esteem on something different.)

oh, and also, sorrysorry I missed this the first read, the part about losing control, if a person getsgets stressed, like bbeing chased by a tiger, theirtheir emotional midbran literally shuts down the rationarational thinking frontafrontal cortex, and thethe person just reactreacts emotionally wiwithout thinking. (sosorry about the spspelling errors, I gotgot tired of going bback and fixing ththem. Something aboabout this website.)?

So the secret isis to mitigate strestress, so that doesn'tdoesn't happen. (It's why drug addicts literalliterally can not stop, eveven when they choschose to. That's the very definition of addiction.)

Thank you for wriwriting.

?

Reply to Thread