Parents not same race as child.
Hey everyone. Let me get straight to the point. I would like your opionion, please. I have been thinking about adoption and since im 21 it wont be anytime soon but i was just wondering. How would you feel about adopting a child from a different race? For example, a white parent adopting a black child..Or a black parent adopting an asian child. Im curious as to whether you guys would ever adopt a child of a different race. (and if you dont plan toadopt  then for arguement sake lets say you want to). And how do you think that would affect the child later on? Would they feel ashamed? Would you? Would they be embarrassed of you as teenagers? Would you be embarrassed of them? Its something i wouldnt have a problem with but i dont know how itll affect the child. So your thoughts please and thank you. If this has been asked before than i am sorry
Adopting a child of a different race to me would be like my getting a cat that's white*. It wouldn't make much of a difference. My baby is going to be mixed. I'd be a screwed up parent if I had a preference all of a sudden. *I currently have a black cat and want to adopt more, but I loves cats either way.
Adoption is something I'd like to seriously look into when I'm old enough and have the money to do so. If I decide to adopt, I'd actually prefer a child of a different race. A major problem in the adoption system is that so many people want white babies with no disabilities or special needs, so I'd love to be able to give a home to a child who [unfairly] has less of a chance of getting adopted. For me, the same thing goes for kids with mental or physical disabilities. Not everyone has the capability of adopting and caring for a special needs child, and since I'm pretty sure I do (that's the career field I'm going into), I feel like I could make a lot of difference by adopting a child that has much less of a chance.
Here in sweden most people who adopt adopt from another race. mostly because nt many peopel give kids up for adoption here so most of the times people here adopt from other countries. All people who are adopted that i know is different race than the parents
do you have a particular race in mind? or does it not matter? And would you adopt in place of having kids of your own or in addition to? and i think its great you want to adopt a child with special needs
I'd have no problems adopting a child of another race.  I don't know how it would affect the child later on because all kids are different.  maybe they'd be grateful and maybe they'd feel resentment because they're a different race?  I don't know.  I don't love my mother any more or less because of her race, so..
I would adopt in addition to having my own. I want 2-3 of my own and 1-2 adopted. No particular race in mind, but I'm the most serious about adopting a child with a disability. That's something I would REALLY like to do.
I don't think adopting a child of a different race matters one bit but I do believe that the parent's should incorporate and teach some stuff from where they are from.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, cause the reason is still the same behind it. who cares what color your baby is? Why should the child feel ashamed, I think alot of kids would be gracious no matter what color you are? Why should either one of you be ashamed because of the color of your skins or the decisions you have made to adopt them? I mean adoption is a noble thing to do, you have given them a chance to have a better life, and opened you heart,life and home to them. I plan on adopting kids who are harder to adopt because of handicaps or disabilities.
I don't think it matters what race the child is, as long as the child is loved and wanted by the family adopting it. Joshua and I would love to adopt if it was a good fit for our family, and we wouldn't rule out a child based on their race. If we ended up with a white kid, we end up with a white kid, if it's Asian, it's Asian, etc. I can't say I won't adopt a child of my race, because it really just depends on what child we "click" with.
I don't have a problem with it at all. I would bring the child up in a home where it's okay for them so they'd have a positive experience and life and hopefully grow up seeing this the way I do :)

The couple adopting us is black and we're white. It's no big deal.

My daughter is mixed. White, Black, and Puerto Rican

I would love a child outside my race (white)

I want an all white child, all black child, and then a half black half white child.

color or skin tone or ethnicity would never sway my decision if I wanted to adopt a child

I would adopt a child of a different race. The color of someone's skin shouldn't matter.

I think that it would affect how the child would be raised though - they would obviously have questions as to why they are different from the rest of the family. I'm not sure what I would tell my child if they wanted to know why their other mommy and daddy didn't keep them. That's my only worry.

my good friend was adopted-she is Native American and her parents are white, and has very dark skin compared to her parents. another white family I know adopted African children in addition to their white biological children.

I never really thought about it, hmmm

I'm First Nations and I was adopted into a white household. It was difficult, moreso in my later years. Never because I didn't physically look like my parents, but purely because I wished I'd been raised at least partially in my culture. It was doubly ironic for me since my mother spent some years working for the Department of Indian Affairs (back when it was Indians and not First Nations).

At the same time, I don't agree with adoption agencies new policies were they basically will not adopt a child out to a home outside their culture...like somehow it's better to have no home and remain in overcrowded foster homes than to just be different from your [adoptive] parents. That's just stupid.

I do think that any parent who adopts a child outside of their culture/ethnicity should attempt to raise them with knowledge and some practices of their original culture. It usually doesn't take a lot of effort. You can find receipes from the remotest parts of Uganda now on google, so cook up some original foods once or twice a month and involve them. Download some music from their culture for them. Maybe learn a game if there are any. You could do bingo with words from their language. That sort of hting. :-)

Well first off, I'm asian and I was adopted form China. I was abandon by parents at a very young age. I was left at a bus stop. When I got adopted, my mom was single ( and still is) and she is white.

I'm 16, almost 17 now, and I do not feel ashamed of having a white mother. I've never been embarrassed as a teenager. The only problem I have is that living in America, sometimes I feel like an outcast for being...well asian. The one thing I wish my mother did was tell me about my culture, make me food that I liked. Soo, remember teach them about where they came from.

well to be honest race does matter i am adopted as you see im biracial and my adopted parents are black like dark and when we take family photos im the lightest i even was confroted at target this lady was like how is this your daughter she light skinned with long hair my mom just told the lady thats my daughter

my parents are your typical "white" american family and my sister and i are both korean... and no i don't feel ashamed of my parents and they don't feel ashamed of me.... they told me that i was adopted for a reason and that its okay to be different in life..... as long as you explain it to them that they were adopted from a young age it will become very normal to them to respond when other children ask them why they dont look like their mommy or daddy..... my parents did a lot of things to make sure that i knew the culture that i was from and that i was comfortable knowing that i was adopted... it all really depends on how much you expose your child to the concept.... im not saying that every child will feel the same way but it also helps if they are around other children who are adopted too... hoped this helped you :) 

Xiaoo: Well first off, I'm asian and I was adopted form China. I was abandon by parents at a very young age. I was left at a bus stop. When I got adopted, my mom was single ( and still is) and she is white.  I'm 16, almost 17 now, and I do not feel ashamed of having a white mother. I've never been embarrassed as a teenager. The only problem I have is that living in America, sometimes I feel like an outcast for being...well asian. The one thing I wish my mother did was tell me about my culture, make me food that I liked. Soo, remember teach them about where they came from. 

Exactly. I am also Asian, and adopted. My mother is also single, and still single. If she ever embarrasses me it certainly isn't because she's a different racre than I am. What matters is if she is a good mother, and she is. She is an amazing cook, and in addition to cooking Chinese food, every year around my adoption date, we go out to eat at a Chinese restuarant.

I don't think it makes a difference. When you grow up, that person who you call "mom" is your mom. Kids don't generally see a difference so by the time they're a teenager they might get curious and ask questions -- they may even have to deal with comments made by others -- but that doesn't mean they're going to resent you for adopting them because they're a different race or ethnicity. I think this is becoming more and more common (ie white parents adopting and/or having biracial/ethnic children, for example a lot of people adopt from Haiti or China) so hopefully by the time your child is grown up enough to have feelings towards their adoption, it will be more common and less and less people will care. I hope this gives you some reassurance and answers your questions. :) Good luck!

The only problems with adopting a child of another race is if you plan on telling them they are adopted, especially if you have other kids. They can also get teased at school for being asian hen their parents are Mexican or being white when the parents are black etc.

Reply to Thread