Early Miscarriage

I guess it didn't really hit me until now. I thought that there was a possibility that what happened this summer was a miscarriage, but I wasn't entirely sure. And then I found myself here, reading other posts... and now I'm just a complete mess. 

I've never been great about taking my pills, and I didn't always use condoms with the guy I was with this summer. When my period was late, it scared me. I'm only seventeen. But then a week and a half or so later it came, and I was really happy.  But it was weird. Usually, I have a really light, four day period. But this one was bad. It was heavy, I had cramps (normal ones, and in my lower back), and I spotted for like two weeks after the actual "period" itself ended.

I was drinking and smoking weed, and I'm on all these medications... is it my fault?

love_bunny46 wrote:

I guess it didn't really hit me until now. I thought that there was a possibility that what happened this summer was a miscarriage, but I wasn't entirely sure. And then I found myself here, reading other posts... and now I'm just a complete mess. 

I've never been great about taking my pills, and I didn't always use condoms with the guy I was with this summer. When my period was late, it scared me. I'm only seventeen. But then a week and a half or so later it came, and I was really happy.  But it was weird. Usually, I have a really light, four day period. But this one was bad. It was heavy, I had cramps (normal ones, and in my lower back), and I spotted for like two weeks after the actual "period" itself ended.

I was drinking and smoking weed, and I'm on all these medications... is it my fault?

It does sound like it was probably a miscarriage. However, you would have been only about 10 days pregnant. Statisically, about 50% of pregnancies end in the first trimester, and most are probably like yours. Extremely early in the pregnancy before you're really sure you're pregnant. It's generally because of a genetic abnormality that made it impossible for the fetus to survive. In the first few weeks of pregnancy, the cells in the developing embryo multiply at an incredibly fast rate and sometimes the DNA just doesn't copy right, and it makes a fatal error. Most of that super-rapid division takes place before its even considered a pregnancy. It's not your fault. 

That being said, drinking, smoking marijuana wouldn't have helped, but that early in the pregnancy it's unlikely they really did the damage.  Being on multiple medications (especially the types of medications used to treat mental health disorders like depression and bipolar disorder) do pose a risk to a developing fetus and can cause birth defects. Without knowing what you were taking, I couldn't make any guesses there. Birth control can lead to a miscarriage too; in fact, the morning-after pill is really just a higher dose of birth control. However, none of those things would make the miscarriage your fault either. You didn't even know you were pregnant.

Reply to Thread